The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2008-11-03 12:02:10

Mox
Officer

Spirit or crit

Healing Priests now seem to have 2 options when gearing up. It is believed that crit will provide us with just as much mana regen as spirit if properly specced for it. This is a very tempting path because it gives a huge boost to solo play as well. The alternativ is to stack spirit.  This is the traditional way. The benefit from spirit has been lowered, but the amount of spirit on gear seems to have been boosted.

Spirit gear:
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?items=4.1& … rs=1;crv=0

Crit gear:
http://wotlk.wowhead.com/?items=4.1& … rs=1;crv=0

The biggest challenge and the reason I might stick to spirit is the fight for gear. Spirit is normally not very interesting for dps casters while crit is very usefull. I'm not sure if I'm ready to take that fight and will stick to the safe spirit aproach. I just hope I don't get punished for my choice. I would hate to see that stacking up spirit turned out to be the weaker option.

Retired Priest master.

#2 2008-11-03 12:15:27

Warsaw
Guild Member

Re: Spirit or crit

Mox wrote:

Spirit is normally not very interesting for dps casters while crit is very usefull.

You're wrong mate, spirit is imba for locks with new fel armor.

With talented (13 points in demonology), 39% of spirit = spell power (so it basicly benefit lock even more than priest (with 25% of healing if i remember correctly). Without talents it will be 30% still nice.

What blizz made, imo to make casters gear good for almost everyspec and class. (Spriest now needs crit for example, lock spirit) Ofc DPS will need hit rating in addition.

Silly fel armor ,raised mine spell power yesterday from 250 to 435 when I'v dinged 62 smile

Last edited by Warsaw (2008-11-03 12:22:29)

Dwight: Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face. Or in a Roman arena, taking his sword to other gladiators like him.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5697/shirtripkh5.gif

#3 2008-11-03 12:28:01

Zevski
Guild Member

lock is only one of a few casters who we have to fight gear for now!    So i agree with mox,  gathering spirit gear is the easier of the 2 roads. 

But - you know all the casters will be ninja-ing all cloth loots now crit and spirit, so i may just do the same and play around somewhat smile

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-428934.jpg

#4 2008-11-19 17:23:29

Obscure
Founding Member

this thread deserves some attention. I'll probably go for high crit, but it all depends how much I'll be able to play.

lots of cool talents that will give free spells when you crit.

#5 2008-11-30 14:24:00

Kaini
Guild Member

Please share your experiences fellow priests!

I have been going for +spirit, + intellect and +stamina gear, sometimes sacrificing spell powel. I just remember the days I started doing Kara with int, spi and healing maxed Kaini: nice healing, if you survive the first hit. Quite happy the way things are now, except for mana regen. My spirit is 691 unbuffed (~750 with elixirs and food) but my mana regen is going down every level. Manapool has grown, so have the spell costs, but mana regen has, if not taken a dive, at least stayed the same.

I've dealt with the issue using Inner Focus to stretch the 5 sec rule to the max, using it for PoH for bigger chance of crits and still gaining free spells. I also use CoH (1 chance to crit vs. 5 chances to crit) to get free heals when the situation so allows. There have only been few figths in the normal instances (done em all at level 78) where I need to use potion cd, Hymn of Hope and Shadow Fiend and still end up oom and praying for PoM crits.

So, my fear is I'll be oom in the heroics all the time. Anything to say about this? How have you managed in raids and heroics?

Crit chance has also gone way down, around 10% with buffs (elixirs and so on).

Edit: Oh yeah, and the ultimate mana management method... Die on purpose and Spirit of Redemption will save the day... The sacrifices we priests are willing to make, oh the sacrifices.

Kaini

Last edited by Kaini (2008-11-30 14:34:27)

The cliques of artists and writers consist for the most part of a racket selling amusement to people who at all costs must be prevented from thinking themselves vulgar, and a conspiracy to call it not amusement but art. (Collingwood 1938: 90)

#6 2008-11-30 15:11:52

Obscure
Founding Member

So far I have tried with a crit build. with my current gear, I tend to run oom fast, and I have a disturbingly low mana pool. I'm not feeling the effects of the free heals. If anything, I feel my dmg build was better for healing. sad

#7 2008-12-01 14:02:13

Mox
Officer

I have made a rule for myself. All items I pick should have both Intellect and Spirit. After that I would prefere crit above haste.

During 10 man Naxx I tried to time my Shadow Fiend, trinkets and other effects quite early. I really never went oom, but I did use a few Mad Alchemist Potions. I feel a lot better now than I did prior to the raid, but 25 man might turn out to be a lot harder also in this department. I do however feel confident that with better gear mana will be a minor problem.

Retired Priest master.

#8 2008-12-01 16:33:24

Obscure
Founding Member

I honestly think that the crit build is something you need to have gear for, so my next instance I will have a spirit/int build of some sort. I agree with you on the stats over effects for now, Mox.

Also on a bit more different note, do we have any weapon buffs for our Northrend weapons? Any mana oils? My enchanting trainer wont teach me any, so I guess it's reputation vendors...

Now, I only tried Sapphiron in naxx, and it was hell to avoid going oom. Had to shield my shadowfiend, and even then he didnt last the full duration. Could only drink one pot, cause Smeld would not get me ooc, if only for a split second. PoM was awesome in that fight though, and when I used it a bit more aggressive (every time the CD was over), I could feel the effect. But next time I plan on going into naxx with more spirit, more mana, more regen, more health, and sadly less crit -_-

#9 2008-12-01 16:56:02

Lamme
Guildmaster

there are no WotlK oils or anything alike.

#10 2008-12-01 18:41:33

Mox
Officer

Blizzard said something about temporary enchants being for Rogues and Shamans (more?). Oils, stones and similar effects has therefore an item level restriction. They can't be aplied to level 80 items. You can still use old enchants on old items though.

For priest regen theories and raiding in general I recommend som reading:
http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t35208-wotl … _progress/

In essence it say that Spirit is a stat primarilly for holy priests now. Holy priests with Spirit of Redemtion and Spiritual Healing. Dicipline should prefere intellect and crit and with this you could say that spirit vs crit is a question about holy vs disc.

In terms of mana management it might be easier to be dicipline at our gear level, but it remainds to be tested. You gear might at least support this better at this time.

I'm planning on having only one gear set and it should be intellect and spirit before crit and haste. I do hope I get a lot of crit. There are so many cool effects from crit that I don't want to miss out on, but not at the expence of spirit. At least not too much.

Anyway. I really think everyone should read the compendium from A to Z, twice. There are a lot good stuff in there. My favorite part is "How to Cross Heal Effectively". Good reading for all healers really.

Retired Priest master.

#11 2008-12-15 10:17:45

Kaini
Guild Member

Interesting discussion. I fail to see the point where mana regen becomes useless when one spell is nerfed.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=30180.0

Still going for spirit heavy gear, seems they come with reasonable amount of haste and crit anyways.

The cliques of artists and writers consist for the most part of a racket selling amusement to people who at all costs must be prevented from thinking themselves vulgar, and a conspiracy to call it not amusement but art. (Collingwood 1938: 90)

#12 2008-12-17 09:36:39

Mox
Officer

Spamming CoH is very mana intensive so a lot of regen is required. That regen is usefull also when there is a cooldown on CoH, but that's not the question. The question is if you could benefit more if your stat composistion was balanced a little bit more towards power, crit or haste.

When you say spirit heavy gear I don't think you mean spirit enchants and gems. You probably pick up other stats just as often and choose spell power before spirit in many cases. It seem that the thread starter now will start to do the same.

Retired Priest master.

#13 2008-12-17 19:36:29

Kaini
Guild Member

Right you are, Mox.

I do actually go for gear that has other stats too. What I meant to imply was that spirit will always be a factor in my choice of gear: not the only factor, but very important one. So every single item should have spirit (or some effect that supports my healing style) WITH other stats, not solely spirit. "Spirit heavy" was a poor way to say it.

Like I posted before, I want quite a lot of stamina too. Besides spirit, Intellect is a cofactor in manaregen. Those cannot be overlooked in my opinion. What comes to haste and crit, I really don't have enough knowledge to say anything. The gear I've required has luckily given me both to some extent. So far our (priests) gear hasn't been a slowing factor in 25man content. Maybe because the level 200 blues were so good, or maybe people just have the skills needed. smile

Anything new on this sector? Has anyone tested new specs or gearing?

Board footer