You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2010-02-24 11:41:47

Lamme
Guildmaster

For Namino

A run through your questions:

Glyphs (for 5 man groups rather than raiding)
MM
Aspect of the Hawk
Serpent Sting
Steady Shot

Don't use Glyph of Chimera Shot, don't use the one that decreases Aimed Shot cooldown (if it still exists). While you want to fire these over steadies, without glyphs they align into a perfect 1-1-3 rotation, while with the glyphs you will run into cooldown conflict effectively either delaying to the point where the gain from glyph is eaten by waiting or skip too many steadies to actually have the benefit. This is of course for situations where rotation longer then "one of each specials" actually matter.

Depending on other talents (mostly hit), put at least 1, maximum 3, point in Improved Aspect of the Hawk (BM tier 1 talent). By rule of a thumb Glyph of the Aspect of the Hawk stands for 2 extra talent points there. It's really good, since it puts you at around soft haste cap (which is good), while you want to avoid haste in general.

Serpent Sting is the only real must. It adds 6 secs to Serpent Sting, but you may think "needless, I'll refresh Serpent Sting with Chimera on cooldown anyway". Yes, but the extra 6 seconds goes into the basis for calculation of sting-based portion of Chimera Shot damage. So stronger Serpent (or longer) means greater base for Chimera hits.

One thing that may not be obvious – the more ArP, the less you should like Arcane Shot. At around 33% ish ArP you do not want to use if unless you have to (i.e. unless you’re moving), below that it’s a small dps gain over Steady, so it may be good for mana to skip it.

BM
Bestial Wrath
Serpent Sting
Steady Shot

Mainly since there are no better options. Longer Serpent Sting is nice since you use less cooldowns applying it, harder Steadies are particularly good for BM, since that’s what you’ll do most of the time. Bestial Wrath is nice, but no nearly as far as it was.

If you enjoy hunterism to the point that you actually start taking care of gear, then those 2 may become your friends:
Cheeky's/Shandara's spreadsheet - word of caution, while this is probably the most in-depth tool to analyze the damage, setting it up is definitly on the hard side. There's just so many settings that it's very easy to miss some important ones. Then again, once you do get it set, it's really helpful.
Female Dwarf - which is pretty much the same mechanism, just served in much more accessible way. Problem for me was to save my settings.
Don't use RAWR. For quite complicated reasons the results are very much skewed in favor of haste. It will tell you to gem for it etc.

Other than that, gear for agility first and foremost. Then:
MM – ArP (but that’s tricky with soft/hard caps etc)
BM – attack power
SURV – agility (over everything else)

If you fell in love with MM don't gem for ArP until you reach the point where you'll know on your on why and how you're going to do it.
This is in my opinion one of the better structured hunter guides available, it's very unpopular though (probably due to ensidia-hate).

Your best friend is wolf – sadly, for all specs, BM included. Cat is a close competitor for non-BM, devilsaur for BM if you can bare the fucked up hit box.

You may be running into mana issues quite often in the start, that’s more a matter of skills then gear, contrary to what people may say. Basically your goal is to (i) never dps in viper, (ii) always have viper on when running (not shooting) (iii) applying Viper Sting to a mob that has mana bar and will die last. Don’t underestimate the mana gain from Viper Sting, on longer fights (probably 10 man), it’s not a sham to use apply Viper Sting right after Chimera Shot, refresh it with next Chimera (that’s how the cd’s are aligned – you can refresh Viper once with Chimera, not more), keep that Viper to the point where Chimera will be ready in 2 GCD, apply Serpent, fire Chimera.

Last but not least – two high-lever hunter tricks. You’ll get 2xt9 in no time. You should know that once you have it, a Serpent Sting is better than Steady Shot if you know it will tic for 66% or more of its duration.

If you go as far as to get 2xt10 then:
Keep head and legs from t9, get shoulders and chest from t10 (2x2 pieces bonuses). You now need to realize that if you manually reapply (recast) Serpent Sting while the 2xt10 proc in up (aka +15% flat damage increase), it will roll on if you keep Serpent up through Chimera.

#2 2010-02-24 12:00:57

Windir
Founding Member

Re: For Namino

goddamn how complex it has become since tbc :p

stack agi/ap, get (alot) haste, push iWin button and voila 2k dps++ tongue

Outside lies doom

#3 2010-02-24 12:12:31

Lamme
Guildmaster

Then again, you get 2k dps+ by afk auto-shot nowadays ;D

#4 2010-02-24 12:30:24

Enimusha
Officer

Thanks alot for the post Lamme. Some of it already knew by reading EJ stuff, some of it was new. Still very valuable information and i appreciate the time you have taken to write it.

EJ still suggests Chimera glyph though, but i believe you are correct after last nights testing. I swiched Chimera glyph to Aoth one and the rotations are indeed easier, without overlapping cooldowns.

I am using a Wolf (Ironjaw) as MM pet and a Spirit Beast (Gondia) as BM pet. They seem to work nicely. smile

#5 2010-02-24 12:35:36

Enimusha
Officer

A question: how much hit i should be aiming for?

#6 2010-02-24 12:49:46

Lamme
Guildmaster

8%, 263 hit rating or get a draen...no, wait wrong:D
With higher end gear, it's often a good idea to get somewhat less hit from gear and to spend talent points in Focused Aim (that's the name I think, MM tier 1). That's 1% hit per talent point, so not a bad deal at all.

edit: oh, and for pets hit is rounded down. So 6.99% for you equals 6% hit for pet. The talent mentioned above works for the pet as well.

#7 2010-02-24 13:06:24

Enimusha
Officer

It seems i'm pretty close to the cap then, 254 hit rating. So Focused Aim at this point is not that important talent for me. My spec atm is 7/57/7. Perhaps it would be wise to move 2 points from Imp Arcane shot to Efficiency for less AotV uptime?

Edit: or is Rapid Recuperation better than Efficiency?

#8 2010-02-24 13:22:04

Lamme
Guildmaster

I'd move 1 point to Focused Aim to being with. Then rest is a function of what you do and how your mana is. I'd rather spend 2 points in Rapid Recuperation than Efficiency. That works wonders when solo (since you land killing blow on everything) but also in 5 mans, Kill Shot will again make you land the killing blow often. Plus, if you have mana issues, Silencing Shot is something you should think about - for max dps it’s best to macro it to the shots you spam. That, however, eats loads of mana (much more than you’d expect). I have two alternative bars – with Silencing Shot macro’ed to others (to spam it on cd), other without. On Lich King not using Silencing Shot was a huge dps boost – mana problems were gone.

That's a bit overstatement, but - if you need AotV while in combat, there are high chances you're doing something wrong.

Board footer