The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#26 2012-07-30 09:57:59

Zenghu
Guild Friend

Re: The Secret World

I played TSW open beta, but it was, apart from skill wheel, utterly boring. I managed to play through few zones and I didn't feel that the story line was progressing, but rather running around killing zombies and doing pointless side quests to "level up" in order to have a chance at progressing in story line. I forgot what I was doing there after hours of side questing. So, not my piece of cake, enough zombies for me.

And about monthly updates, yeah. Blizzard seems to slack more and more and release pointless stuff instead of imporving the game (imo), and making loot, sry, epicbbqgear matter less and less.

My everchanging WIP portfolio for school shi...stuff: http://home.tamk.fi/~c1hkorke/portfolio/index.html

It's buggy for reasons I cba to check them, also it's outdated.

#27 2012-08-12 21:41:12

Lydo
Guild Member

Its just the first zone where the zombies become boring. The quests and the cutscenes included are way better than anything seen in swtor for example.
Investigation/sabotage missions with real world references to real historical events aswell as myths and legends is just awesome. They have managed to make some really nice cutscenes with top quality voice acting and character animations that make the characters look living and not stoned as in swtor.

And the first raid instance will be like:

"As new content continues to be added to Funcom’s Secret World MMO, next week at Gamescom they will be showing the game’s first raid instance.

The content on show will involve a giant monster crawling out of the subway system attacking a partially destroyed New York. The beast will make it’s way to Times Square which will no doubt culminate in some sort of epic battle."

As seen in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPH36Ha4OnM

IMO this game only needs more players, a bit of polishing and more word of mouth to grow into something that the wow clones couldnt.

#28 2013-01-14 21:35:37

Lydo
Guild Member

Check out my video I made of TSW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHZjtHLO … e=youtu.be

You people are missing out on amazing game :S

#29 2013-01-15 05:15:43

Sagidu
Guild Member

Currently best MMO? Please.

Funcom-is all i have to say really. Noone believed in success of this game-these guys got cutbacks and could hardly manage the game after release. Then in few months it went free to play. They fucked up Age of Conan big time, took no feedback or criticism and just went with their own ideas again for another game.

Praising graphics, storytelling, voice acting-these things do absolutely nothing for the LONGEVITY of the game which is what matters for MMO genre the most. Besides Guild Wars 2 has superior visuals to this and SWTOR has superior voice acting and storytelling-it did not save these games from becoming what they are today. There is serious lack of PvP content in this game as well.

The only good thing in this video was music.

#30 2013-01-15 19:33:23

Lydo
Guild Member

Sagidu wrote:

Currently best MMO? Please.

Funcom-is all i have to say really. Noone believed in success of this game-these guys got cutbacks and could hardly manage the game after release. Then in few months it went free to play. They fucked up Age of Conan big time, took no feedback or criticism and just went with their own ideas again for another game.

Praising graphics, storytelling, voice acting-these things do absolutely nothing for the LONGEVITY of the game which is what matters for MMO genre the most. Besides Guild Wars 2 has superior visuals to this and SWTOR has superior voice acting and storytelling-it did not save these games from becoming what they are today. There is serious lack of PvP content in this game as well.

The only good thing in this video was music.

Cannot understand why you think GW2 visuals and SWTOR voiceacting are better than TSW's counterparts so I dont want to begin arguing. Only makes me think you havent played the games enough to make a good comparison, or then you simply hate all TSW related starting from the story and setting.

It was only a good choise for them to make it B2P. Now they have a similiar system as ArenaNet has and the in-game cash shop is a huge success as most want to spend some money for the huge variety of in-game clothing and some additional extras/boosts.

The games playerbase is growing and the communication between players and development is working well. They have promised to improve the weak points of the game. Granted they can keep the players around while fixing the weak points of the game while adding enough new content they have everything they need for longevity. These are the only concerns, everything else is in place perhaps maybe trust..

I dont know about the history of Funcom or why people hate Funcom so much, but I dont care because TSW launch was great. No server crashes, little amount of bugs, no game-breaking lag and things have been the same ever since.

#31 2013-01-15 21:43:22

Sagidu
Guild Member

It is not that i think GW2 visuals and SWTOR voice-acting are better than TSW's counterparts-they just are. Fact-not an opinion. Bioware has spent a great deal of cash to hire top voice actors-you can look it up its a common knowledge. Although yes animations or well rather lack of them in cutscenes is a different matter. GW2 visuals are also simply better-at least engine wise, the style perhaps maybe isnt what you prefer compared to TSW. I know many people (myself included) that fired up GW2 beta for the first time and they were like ''fuck me must get new pc'' while after firing up TSW beta it was more like ''ok this does not look great''.

Dont know why you got an impression i havent played these games enough-got 4 max lvl chars on SWTOR which i played extensively for few months, when it comes to GW2 i have been following development of this game for a very long time. Then i beta tested and stress tested during every possible event before actually playing like the rest. As for the setting-ye not my thing indeed though i did not mention anything about setting at all.

And making it B2P was more of a necessity than a choice.

As for Funcom-for many various reasons they are just not respected by gaming community. Rightfully so.

No server crashes or lag-i can totally believe it considering population of that game is give or take 300k (that would be probably too high even) as of today.

#32 2013-01-16 00:13:14

Lydo
Guild Member

Sagidu wrote:

It is not that i think GW2 visuals and SWTOR voice-acting are better than TSW's counterparts-they just are. Fact-not an opinion. Bioware has spent a great deal of cash to hire top voice actors-you can look it up its a common knowledge. Although yes animations or well rather lack of them in cutscenes is a different matter. GW2 visuals are also simply better-at least engine wise, the style perhaps maybe isnt what you prefer compared to TSW. I know many people (myself included) that fired up GW2 beta for the first time and they were like ''fuck me must get new pc'' while after firing up TSW beta it was more like ''ok this does not look great''.

Dont know why you got an impression i havent played these games enough-got 4 max lvl chars on SWTOR which i played extensively for few months, when it comes to GW2 i have been following development of this game for a very long time. Then i beta tested and stress tested during every possible event before actually playing like the rest. As for the setting-ye not my thing indeed though i did not mention anything about setting at all.

And making it B2P was more of a necessity than a choice.

As for Funcom-for many various reasons they are just not respected by gaming community. Rightfully so.

No server crashes or lag-i can totally believe it considering population of that game is give or take 300k (that would be probably too high even) as of today.

Dont know why you mention game engine with 2 totally different games. Its not the same as how it looks. GW2 is beautiful yes that was my feeling aswell when I began playing it, but.. I got used to it and then it only looked like bright and shiny, but it has nothing to do with how the different areas feel in the game, because many of them feel so useless with just some random events going on. Its not the same in TSW where they have really managed to make every single detail you can find in the game meaningful in every area by combining these "look & feel" elements, nothing is there just for the looks. Graphics are always debetable but this is the point that matters, atleast for me. This is where you can see who have spent more time designing the game and who have only spent money.

No matter who the voiceactors are or how much they got paid the outcome was really crappy compared to TSW in overall quality. Many times in SWTOR it felt like I could only watch the cutscenes with blindfolders on just for the voiceacting. In TSW many times it feels same as watching a movie.

They have spend so much time and imagination for TSW that it makes me kinda sad that so many people are feeling your way. If someone asks me better games are made with such dedication and not money.

Last edited by Lydo (2013-01-16 00:13:50)

#33 2013-01-16 13:37:32

Sagidu
Guild Member

Dedication and not money-i totally agree with this. Currently beta testing Path of Exile and it is quite extraordinary what a small dedicated group of people can do with a particular genre as opposed to a multi billion company with unlimited resources and man power behind it like Blizzard.

I can see you are quite passionate about TSW. Most likely i did not really give it a real chance-all i really experienced was about 20 hrs of running around totally clueless in starting areas which perhaps is not a good indication of a true value of what TSW can offer. Thing is it really did not grab my attention to keep me playing longer or be excited about it. The only thing i remember was quite interesting skill/leveling system.

I cannot get this song out of my head by the way. Where is it from? Two Steps From Hell?

#34 2013-01-16 17:24:28

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Sagidu wrote:

I cannot get this song out of my head by the way. Where is it from? Two Steps From Hell?

The first thing I do when I wonder about stuff like that is read the video comments to see if there's some info about it there smile

Looks like a nice game. Never tried it myself, but from the critique I've read about it, most people seem to love the quests and the world, but they hate the combat system.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/q03263-2.png

#35 2013-01-16 18:54:57

Lydo
Guild Member

The combat/animations are not as good looking or fluent as in GW2 for example, that is true. Yet they are working on it. But most who dont like the combat system in general most likely havent unlocked enough of the abilities especially from the 2nd tiers of the wheel as it takes quite some time. Thats when the combat gets more interesting and the character in general.

Infact when I first tried TSW in July it for some reason didnt get my interest too and I didnt get very far in the game, but then I started playing again after GW2 and this time it got me. And from what I have heard many have experienced the same.

Board footer