•  » Druid
  •  » arena tactics for feral druids

#1 2007-08-31 18:51:12

Mojorising
Officer
Website

arena tactics for feral druids

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm … &sid=1

Takes some time to read, but explains the druid role very good.
I suggest that those of you who are feral in arenas read it, and make your team mates read it too.

The guide has the following covered:
*Choosing a spec
*Beginner Gear
*Arena mods
*2v2
*3v3
*5v5

With in the different arena teams there is a walktrough to what you need to do
example:

Sahrokh wrote:

Feral druid (you) and warrior

I found this combo good more on paper than in practice. We can't keep the warrior free off CC spells, his armor does nothing against casters.

Against two melee, sure, it's easy mode. Double team on one, the other is stunned and / or cycloned. Trinket on fears / blind.

Melee and hunter: depends on if the warrior crits. With good gear / resilience / HP this won't happen and then they can perma snare and nip at us till we lose.
Melee and magic user: both on magic user while CC-ing the melee or fearing him. Against some classes it works well (warlocks, priests, fire mages) against others (frost mages) it depends on crits and luck and we tend to lose.
Dual magic user: depends on the amount of CC they have, it may be hard or impossible to beat them (I assume to play against good players, else if we meet frost mages who won't blink and spam novas + icelance it's not really a real match).
Warlock and shadow priest: CC priest (warrior charges in and fears, they trinket, I cyclone already), double team on warlock, cyclone priest again and heal up both, double team priest. Often times it's less "linear" of a fight than it looks on paper though.
Pala and warrior: this can be very tricky. Basically the warrior will focus on me. My warrior mortal strikes paladin, I try cyclone his warrior, both on pala to make him bubble. Simple things like a well placed warstomp can decide this fight of either side, I found it very hard. A missed bash or anything and the pala heals himself and warrior to full and it's over. I know some go for the warrior instead but despite my gear I seem not to be able to nuke the warrior in time before they are out of CC and start healing again.

And like this he describes your role with almost any group setup possible vs any group setup possible.

About Sahrokh:
Sahrokh has always been a "key" person (if you can call it that) on the EU druid forums, with great knowlegde and strong oppinions about feral druids. As far as i know, he has been a feral druid since MC (i remember watching a movie where he tanks Garr + Adds at the same time)
he has made several posts and guides about everything conserning feral druids, and everything is always well written and tested out. This dude knows what he is talking about.
I took notice of his statement; a versality dealer, not a damage dealer.

so.. have fun reading and learning smile
mojo

#2 2007-08-31 19:25:31

arilia
Forum User

Re: arena tactics for feral druids

It just so happen that I play with a feral druid in 2vs2 atm, going great so far with 1820 raiting at the moment.
Anyhow, good read!

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3761/1180851127257zt1.gif

#3 2007-08-31 21:33:25

Mojorising
Officer
Website

#4 2007-08-31 22:07:00

Lydo
Guild Member

cyclone cyclone.. bear form.. bash.. cyclone cyclone.. entangling roots.. travel form

#5 2007-08-31 23:02:27

Mojorising
Officer
Website

lydomina wrote:

cyclone cyclone.. bear form.. bash.. cyclone cyclone.. entangling roots.. travel form

this ofc changes, when you take into account who you are fighting with and who you are fighting against. Harrasing a player is 1 part of the feral druids job in the arena, but will dare and say that what you wrote fit more on a resto druid than a feral druid.

let me make it easy for you tongue

Your role

So, what are you, feral druid, actually doing in an arena team?
This probably surfaced to your mind quite a lot of times, for sure it surfaced your team members once they discovered you perform worse than planned.

This question is not easy to answer to.

You are a protection warrior with no mortal strike nor damage.
You are a more fragile rogue without stuns nor poisons.
Resilience destroys you.
You are a gimped enhancement shaman when it comes to healing others.
You have no big ability, no magic I WIN button, no imba cooldown, no slogan, no meme, no strong and clear role.

So what can you basically do?

You can try focusing on your few strong points and leverage on them, instead on trying to offset the weak points.

Forget healing, an error I have seen done again and again by ferals.
You. Are. Not. There. To. Heal.
Plus, You. Are. Not. There. To. Tank.
Don't mistake me, you will heal, and heal a lot in some situations, you can and will "create" yourself opportunities to heal yourself and your mate(s), but your role there is of "shock trooper".

The shock trooper comes, aggressively focuses on something and kills it. Or at least, like a rabid dog, will chew on it till their bones till they curse your very existance.
Properly played, the feral druid can harass (and kill) soft healers and low resilience paladins more and better than a rogue (you are to lurk in the lower part of arena, remember? So no full season 2 people there for now).
You are to stay in cat form a lot, the ONLY form and job you are worth taking for in arena most of the time.

There is a very notable exception to all of this. Once per fight, you can completely turn the tide of the fight by using tranquillity. It's not to be used "just because", as it's an huge mana drain. Since you are going to be a DPS + DPS team you'll go low HP somewhere past half the fight. Now, if you have mana enough (the deadliest mistake is to cast a spell and discover you are stuck in caster form!) you can go behind a pillar, barkskin and cast tranquillity. The best for this would be to have their DPS rooted away, because tranquillity causes even more aggro in PvP than in PvE! It can single handedly cancel the efforts of a 5 man team and bring everyone back to full.

*Disclaimer* I know all of this becomes false vs 1700-1800+ well trained teams but this guide is not for high rank game play*

All the following assumes you go with a DPS capable second mate.

notice bold part tongue

#6 2007-08-31 23:44:24

Lydo
Guild Member

how can you even exactly know with what spec the druid is playing with? I know mangle tells its a feral druid and tree tells its a resto druid etc.. but the problem is that when there is a druid and a rogue for example and the druids have to heal the rogue in the start of the fight.. lets say rogue vanishes at this point and I have to attack the druid, he might try attempt to CC me or just transforms to bear form, but if he attempts to kite me I still cant know with what spec he is playing with.. resto druids in bear form are much easier to take down than feral druids, that I know.

#7 2007-09-01 04:39:13

Mojorising
Officer
Website

you can _usually_ tell on the mana.. 6 - 8k i think is around what most good geared feral druids have. but druids have +healing on their feral pvp gear, so you cant exactly tell if its a resto or not by the healing. if he does kinda crappy dps he is probably resto druid.

i guess it comes down to their play style. Like.. a feral druid will try to do dmg to you, not kite you and a resto druid will try to get away from you and CC you as much as possible.

If you still cant tell, look at their weapon. if they are having a 1hd mace and maybe with the white +healing glow they are usual resto (or changed weapon to get some more healing), if they got a 2nd mace, they are most likely to be feral.

#8 2007-09-01 19:09:24

Lydo
Guild Member

Thanks Mojo smile

I think the druids weapon indeed tells pretty much about his spec.

• Index
  •  » Druid
  •  » arena tactics for feral druids

Board footer