The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2008-04-07 22:51:31

Obscure
Founding Member

The SURGE thread

I joined with surge spec last raid I attended (tuesday 1.april, I believe), and as you can see at the wws, I did pretty mediocre. But dig deeper in those stats and you will see me slacking pretty hard on trash (20% dps time).
Now this was my first raid as surge, and chances are I can do a better, but obviously there is no reason to argue that shadow is better for damage and holy is better for healing.

My reason for this thread is to have a general talk abour the build, discussion around the effect of this build, and how to optimize it (gear, group setup, spellrotation), cause I really enjoy this build and have intentions of trying it in raids at least a couple of times more (probably not progression raids, but who knows). There are no good threads about this on official priest forum. So lets have one here.

Surge priest

Surge build is arguably the most fun priest build. It has good damage and good healing and gets more enjoyable as your crit increases.
It is perfect for levelling and solo play since you easely can heal yourself and others while doing simple but effective damage to mobs. Anyone who has tried to grind as shadow knows that it sucks, and those who have tried surge agrees its fun. smile

A surge priest is a priest build that usually never attends raids, as there are two priest builds that has far better consensus as raiding builds: Holy and shadow. It is built around the talent "Surge of Light" that gives the priest a instant, mana-free smite after a crit (50% chance), and obviously it is a build made for damage.
But in terms of healing and support, depending on gear and different talents it can also have the following:

- Several healing talents, including Inspiration and Divine Fury (cast time on GH).
- Obviously it has Imp PWF and Silent Resolve.
- Power Infusion.
- Spirit buff wich translates 10% of your spirit into spelldmg.

My surge priest

Gear:
I have around 1000 holy spelldmg, 12.5k mana, and 32% crit unbuffed.
This is not optimal, but there are a million upgrades for me in almost every instace we do. Which is the same as saying that my gear sucks.
Healinggear gives me 1600 healing and 250mp5

My talents:
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-talen … ;n=Obscure

As you can see, I have power infusion and spirit buff. I have 2/3 renew, inspiration and silent resolve. Every other talent is intended for damage output and it is absolutely my favoruite priest build.
I played with this build when I levelled from 60-70, and I have specced this build every now and then when I want to grind or do quests.

Casting spells:
On last tuesday, when we took Akama and Supremus, 90% of my damage came from Holy Smite. I did not use Holy Fire at all. Almost the same with Shadow Word: Pain. I felt it would take too much time away from my smites.
I tried to have Power Infusion on CD at all times, throwing it on various mages, but again, it's so easy to get hooked on that smite.
There was no need for me to step in as healer in this raid, as we both had good healing power and a tankadin that took on that role when the situation required more healers.

My "rotation" is pretty much popping trinkets (I have two with use effect) and starting to smite the skull. I felt I had to be careful with aggro (holy spells have 50% more threat than other spells), and I did pull agro a few times, but in retrospectively I think I can be more reckless with the smites. Our tanks are good.
I also think I should use SWP more. Of course it does less damage than a shadow priest, but it may do a difference. Holy Fire? I'm not sure about this one. It is 3 seconds cast and a worthless dot.  Shadowword: death.. I dont know, I have problems using this as shadow even, probably goes back to my time as a healer, when players losing health would grab my attention away from other players who probably needed heals more. 
A retri pala would have up seal of crusader, right? This increases holy damage with 10% or something. Does a retri palading also use sancitity aura, and does that improve holy dmg as well?

An optimal group could be:
- Retri pala
- Shadow priest
- Shaman
- Oomkin
- Surge priest

So again, is there a point to this build beyond solo play? Is there a way to make it work better? Any random thoughts regarding surge priest?

#2 2008-04-08 00:50:25

Lamme
Guildmaster

Re: The SURGE thread

I think surge priests ought to get more gametime for a starter big_smile
Some interesting info there already for me, I'll be following this thread.

#3 2008-04-08 02:23:40

Golrock
Guild Member

rox

Weep in greater quantities, novice.

#4 2008-04-09 01:02:17

Windir
Founding Member

obscure wrote:

A retri pala would have up seal of crusader, right? This increases holy damage with 10% or something. Does a retri palading also use sancitity aura, and does that improve holy dmg as well?

Sanctity aura increases holydmg done by 10%, and improved sanctity aura increases all damage by 1%/2%

There's no doubt that the spirit buff will be loved by casters and even healers. I don't really know if Power Infusion is that good, however Pain Supression will be quite handy for Gurtogg Bloodboil in learning phases atleast(but you won't get surge of light).

The "problem" I see is: who's place will the surge priest take?  I really don't think a surge priest can compete with the support of the shadowpriest or dps of other hybrids with various group/raid buffs.

So I guess it's a healer spot the surge priest will take.

We usually run with 8 healers, not really needed for trash. And I've heard that for Reliquary of Souls we need more dps than healing. Surge priest will most likely do the most damage of the "pure healers".
However, you aren't as strong as a holypriest in healing, but still great enough heals to be a targethealer.

All in all, I think the surge priest foremost will be a trash damgedealer, and healer on bosses.

Outside lies doom

#5 2008-04-09 03:01:38

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

An optimal group could be:
- Retri pala
- Shadow priest
- Shaman
- Oomkin
- Surge priest

The problem with this group is that you "waste" the buffs abit. the oomkin could give 5% crit to a pure caster group. The shadow priest could give mana regen to the pure caster group. It would be optimal for the surge priest, not the rest of the crew. As the retri pala prolly want a melee group too, to optimize his dps, as he is melee mostly.

However, it would be fun to see how a surge priest would do in a raid, its really hard to judge a surge priest unless he goes all out dps the entire raid. This would give us some measurement on how it can perform.

Anyone who thinks the sky is the limit ... has limited imagination !

#6 2008-04-09 03:13:33

Obscure
Founding Member

Well this thread was about optimizing the surge priest and how to make it work better, so obviosuly I listed the best group possible for the spec this thread is about.

But if I had to chose:
5%crit+mana regen vs 10-12% dmg. I'm not sure. The damage is probably best, seing I had absolutely no problems with goin oom, and my listed crit was well over 35%

#7 2008-04-09 03:16:08

Geirkri
Forum User
Website

Do not gimp the raid with putting the surge priest with an oomkin.

Like Windir (yes you are still windir in my eyes) says, a surge priest will prolly have to heal on bosses.

However, I don`t see where a surge priest can fit in on sunwell though, check brutallus for example, no room for a surge priest there, you need the best damn healers you got, + the best damn DPS.

So not to be negative, but a surge priest can be useful for several instances, but not in the long run imho.

On Reliquary it can be useful, but not super important, on P1 there is no healing at all, so everyone dpses (except for shields on tanks). P2 you need the healing, in p3 you also need the healing, and I can only say for myself, but I would rather take a full disc priest instead, for the utility it gives (imp spirit anyone?)

http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1575104NyUzJ.png
http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1617486pIXsG.png
http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1617489VCYpF.png
http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1617491oHhhS.png
+ Maerith 70 rogue Alliance and Ervael 70 Mage alliance @ Stormscale.

#8 2008-04-09 03:17:49

Windir
Founding Member

Outside lies doom

#9 2008-04-09 03:37:43

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

Hm, short thing about surge of light, this is without any concern about haste, which would give even worse numbers. DPS thinking only here...(taken from the thread above), which I havent really thought about that much.

But with surge of light, you get a instant smite. Smite 2 sec cast, instant = 1.5 sec cast(global cooldown). So according to the thread, surge of light only gives the priest a 6% dps gain :S This is without concern to spellhaste, if we start looking at spell haste the gain would be less and less, and with 100% spell haste you would gain 0.

Ofc smite alone is nice dmg

Anyone who thinks the sky is the limit ... has limited imagination !

#10 2008-04-09 03:54:05

Obscure
Founding Member

so the Surge of Light talent is useless if I get spellhaste? Interresting. The build will need a new name though..

and to the dude a couple of posts up who talk about sunwell when he knows perfectly well we are in BT:

Obscure wrote:

I really enjoy this build and have intentions of trying it in raids at least a couple of times more (probably not progression raids, but who knows).

#11 2008-04-09 04:21:07

Obscure
Founding Member

Pretty grim reading in that EJ thread. Oh well, I'll just surge elementals in SMV and spec sahdow for raids ;(
Would be fun to try the high end potential of the spec though, and no matter how good it works in raids, it's still the greatest build for the greatest class.

#12 2008-04-09 04:38:43

Windir
Founding Member

I still like it 100000times better than shadow for soloing smile

Outside lies doom

#13 2008-04-09 05:26:04

Geirkri
Forum User
Website

Obscure wrote:

so the Surge of Light talent is useless if I get spellhaste? Interresting. The build will need a new name though..

and to the dude a couple of posts up who talk about sunwell when he knows perfectly well we are in BT:

Obscure wrote:

I really enjoy this build and have intentions of trying it in raids at least a couple of times more (probably not progression raids, but who knows).

with the speed you guys have, you will clear bt in about 2-3 weeks (the TEO way).

Also, the dude does speak truth, and you know it.

Its a nice specc for soloing and 5 man groups, too bad it sucks in raid, but then again, thats WoW in a nutshell.

http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1575104NyUzJ.png
http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1617486pIXsG.png
http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1617489VCYpF.png
http://armory.mmo-champion.com.nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1617491oHhhS.png
+ Maerith 70 rogue Alliance and Ervael 70 Mage alliance @ Stormscale.

#14 2008-04-09 10:08:19

Vonhankkija
Officer

obscure wrote:

Actually, retribution paladin would buff your surge damage quite a lot.

- Sanctity aura increases holy damage done by 10% and when talented it will give extra 2% bonus to all damage that retadins group do.

- Retribution paladin also judges seal of the crusader to his targets, that will increase holy damage taken by 219. Also when this skill got talent points, it will also give 3% crit increase to anyone who attacs the target..

quite nice i would say smile

"- Tuskin Mikankaan kohalla on väkisin työnnetty piikkiä perseeseen, Nykänen päätteli."

#15 2008-04-09 11:52:17

Mox
Officer

The first talent points I took when leveling from 60 to 70 was Surge of Light. It was bugged at the time so the smite had mana cost, but could crit and proc a new surge. Was really fun to get 2-3 procs in a row. That is, however, my only experience with anything outside a pure healing build.

I now have about 900 holy spell damage in my grinding gear and have little problems grinding the mobs I need to grind for quests. Holy fire, dots and a smite or two. Wand the rest. If I want to grind for anything else I pick my Mage or Hunter.

denatus wrote:

But with surge of light, you get a instant smite. Smite 2 sec cast, instant = 1.5 sec cast(global cooldown). So according to the thread, surge of light only gives the priest a 6% dps gain :S This is without concern to spell haste, if we start looking at spell haste the gain would be less and less, and with 100% spell haste you would gain 0.

Is a 6% dps increase for 2 talent points really that bad? With spell haste the global cooldown is also reduced. The extra 6% dps will be maintained as long as you have a global cooldown. There will be no partial reduction. The dps increase will not be reduced until the global cooldown is 0 seconds, but is that even possible? Even then, the reduction in mana usage is a benefit not to be taken lightly.

Retired Priest master.

#16 2008-04-09 14:09:12

Beardstorm
Mahogany - Retired CL
Website

MH bosses 1-4 are probably the best all out nuke fights until Brutalus, bring surge there and you can test it out and see if you can improve those BT figures.

Overall DPS is a bad way to judge it, look at individual boss fights for overall effectiveness.

Please donate to the "One shot Aya with a shield slam fund", all bits of metalz welcome.

Board footer