Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2009-04-24 05:54:13

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

Compilation: Death Knight Builds - 3.1 updated

Introduction
Patch 3.1 hosted a huge talent rewamp for us DK's, due to this the old post about builds is heavily outdated. This thread will continue from the old one, but with updated information.

Important tip for max DPS:
For PVE dps, reaching the hit and expertise cap will boost your DPS the most. So, reach the hit cap!(290 hit-rating, 9%) while the expertise cap is at 20(from behind).

Important tip for max TPS:
To maximize your TPS(Threat Per Second) you want to get the hit cap and expertise cap. They are at 290 and 35-40 rating, respectively.
As a main tank, if you find yourself low in rating, on either of these, you will struggle with threat, in particular on bosses.

Blood

DPS(Raid)
51/0/20 - Death-striker - Cookie-cutter blood spec. Scales very good with sunder armor, buffs and gear. Gives burst-on-demand with high sustainable dps. Rotation: IT,PS,DS,HS,HS,DS,4xHS.
Build and glyphs

44/0/27 - Death-striker ghoul - Modified blood with more talents in unholy. Perma-pet and unholy blight. Less burst on demand than deep blood but should push out a decent amount of damage. Rotation: IT,PS,DS,HS,HS,DS,4xHS
Build and glyphs

Tank
54/5/12 - Blood-tanker - Blood tanking based on the two previous blood builds. Cooldows through Vampiric blood and Mark of Blood. Threat is hopefully good aswell. Rotation: IT,PS,DS,HS,HS,DS,4xHS
Build and glyphs

PVP Builds
<empty>

Frost

DPS(Raid)
13/51/7 - Howling-blaster - This build is based around the new howling blast glyph and(if you can get your hands on one) the new sigil from ulduar heroic. Your main damage will be frost strikes, so learning frost strike weaving is important. Rotation: HB,OB,BS,BS,OB,OB,OB. Simple rotation, but the hard part is to weave in the rime procs and as many frost strikes as you possibly can. Alot of frost strikes = more dps.
Build and glyphs

13/51/7 - Classic-frosty - All tho there exists variations of this build, I will use the same build here. Note that this build uses IT glyph over HB glyph. Again weaving in frost strikes is very important. Rotation: PS,IT,OB,BS,BS,OB,OB,OB. This is a rather tight rotation, and to weave in enough HB's on rime and Frost strikes you may want to consider using Unholy presence(some math says you will be able to push out up to 50% more attacks).
Build and glyphs

Tank
<empty> - Namino will update me on this later.

PVP
<empty> - Will post my current arena build later

NOTE: Frost is sadly the "gimped" tree at the moment. I'll update when I know more.

Unholy

DPS
12/0/59 - Classic-unholy - 2handed cookie-cutter unholy build. Rotation: PS,IT then start: SS,2xBS,3xSS,2xBS,3xSS and so on. Since improved unholy presence is changed you can(unless your very unlucky) use only your SS to keep up your diseases. High burst on demand through the gargoyle. Also remember to rune-dump with death-coil and unholy blight. Keep Unholy Blight up at all times.
Build and glyphs

Dual-Wield
0/8/63 - Unholy dual-wielder - This build is like the classic-unholy builds, except its on speed. You want to DPS in unholy presence, using the IT,PS,SS,BS,BS,SS,SS,SS(then keep repeating 2xBS,3xSS), the glyph is enough(most of the time) to keep up the diseases. Oh, and you dont want to take black ice over desecration, now that it procs of SS-glyph procs. When this build is played right it will top dmg meters. Keep Unholy Blight up at all times. Contributed by Namino
Build and glyphs

Tank
12/5/54 - Unholy-tanker - And again a variant of the Classic-unholy build. Same rules and rotation apply as the one above. Very good as a anti-magic tank. This build also offers a great deal of mitigation cooldowns, which are very handy.
Build and glyphs

PVP
<empty>

Misc Builds

<empty>

Further work

As you can see there is alot of builds still not covered. Feel free to post comments and specs to fill in the holes.

Last edited by denatus (2009-05-09 17:51:59)

Anyone who thinks the sky is the limit ... has limited imagination !

#2 2009-04-24 05:56:01

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

Re: Compilation: Death Knight Builds - 3.1 updated

stealing first post - incase I need it

#3 2009-04-27 17:53:06

Enimusha
Officer

These are the specs i play at the moment:

Unholy dual wield build.

This build is based around strong aoe and dualwield giving a nice amount of Cinderglacier and Fallen Crusader procs. Its good single target damage but exels in AOE. Rotation: PS, IT, BS, BS, SS - pop UB when you have the RP and keep it up all times. Refresh diseases if needed and dump your RP with Death Coil and Corpse Explosion when needed. With this spec you get 10% more runes to your disposal so keeping up diseases with only SS (and SS glyph) is somewhat easy. The ultimately best thing about this spec is the fast pace. You are in Unholy Presence at all times, you move 15% faster, your rune cooldowns refresh 10% faster, you have alot more runic power to spend. Its death knight on drugs!

Raid benefits: Ebon Plaguebringer, +13% spell damage on diseased targets.

Blood 2-hander build.

This is a hard hitting single target armor piercing build. It exels greatly in single target damage, but works for AOE aswell, since you have alot of blood runes in your disposal, meaning you can spam bloodboil 6 times in a row at best. The build also benefits from raid buffs more than others. Armor penetration is a very good stat for this one, since you get a base 10% from Blood gorged. Still needs some testing in raid situations, but seems to work good on dummy. This is the spec for you if you like big numbers on single targets.

Raid benefits: Abominations Might, +10% AP for melees and ranged.

#4 2009-04-27 18:44:52

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Nice builds, definitely gonna copy some of them and try out. But one thing, don't you guys find Gargoyle to be pretty crap lately? Same with DRW, it does like max 1-2% of your dmg in a run if used whenever ready. That's pretty bad for a 51pointer if you ask me.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/q03263-2.png

#5 2009-04-27 19:35:55

Enimusha
Officer

Gargoyle is very nice dps on demand, also you dont have to wait for heroism to pop it since it doesn't benefit from it. Just use it right into the fight and it will do the job. DRW is the same, lower cooldown and nice dps on demand.

#6 2009-05-09 01:51:31

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

Note on DRW and Gargoyle:

In my opinion they are both almost "must have" in raids, burst on command is very usefull.
On my last run in Ulduar DRW was a 2% of my damage done, add the utility of "burst on command" its really nice.

The same can be said about the gargoyle.

However, if you arent into a pure raiding build, then DRW or Gargoyle might not be that useful.

#7 2009-05-09 17:52:26

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

Updated the post:

Fixed some errors.
Added new builds.

Board footer