Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2008-10-20 02:10:25

Mojorising
Officer
Website

Druid dps

Im sure some of you have played around with cat dps specs smile

Have anyone found a good dps rotation yet?
I just specced cat after the raid, and played around on the dummies in IF.
It was nothing like the old mangle > shred to 5cp rip anymore.

Now you have to keep track on alot more;
Energy (no more powershifting)
mangle debuff
rake debuff and /or rip debuff
Tigers fury (under 40 energy to avoid waste of energy)
OOC procs
FFF

into the above, you have to time Shred and FB, to gain the best dps output possible.

The new rotation should be something like:
fff>mangle>rake>shred (if 5 cp FB) >tigers fury>mangle/rake if they need to be refreshed else shred and here the rotation stops, since there is so many factors that plays in :S

Ill probably continue to play around with specs, and try out different approaches, but if anyone have any input, feel free to share.

#2 2008-10-20 10:52:42

Enimusha
Officer

Re: Druid dps

I'm too afraid to try Feral yet. Need to get familiar with moonkin first and then start the spec jumping. I really have no clue how to play feral or resto at the moment, but thats something i'm waiting to test in the future.

#3 2008-10-20 13:11:24

Mojorising
Officer
Website

tried some more testing today.
They buffed rake dmg quite alot, even more when mangle is up.

this is on a lvl 70 dummy:

1 rake alone was around 2300 dmg
1 rake with mangle was 3400 dmg
shred without anything was 850 and 1970 crit
shred with mangle was 2600 crit and 1200 hit
shred with mangle and rake was 3000 crit and 1300 hit
FB is around 5100 crits with 5 cps
FB is between 3000 and 4300 with 4 cps
Rip with mangle debuff ticks for 800 dmg so 4800 with 6 ticks (12 sec)
with the glyph of rip, it would tick for 4 more seconds giving it 1600 more, so a 5900 total

not sure what im getting out of posting these numbers, but what the hell smile

--

say you do a combination between FB and rip, to keep the bleed up, you could end up using a rotation like this;

mangle > rake > shred to 5 cps > rip >
mangle > shred to 5cps > FB >
mangle > rake > shred to 5 cps > rip >
etc...

both mangle and rip are 12 sec of debuff, so they go good together if you get them off after each other. Both cost around 30 energy (depending on talents)
FB cost 35, and drains everything above, making you start from 1 energy. - that meens that unless you have tigers fury ready, you will wait for 107 energy before you can get your first shred of.

#4 2008-10-20 14:10:36

Mojorising
Officer
Website

Tried to run with 4 parts of T6 together with 2 parts T4.
dps was very unstable, and i had between 1600 and 1300 dps.

With my current gear im hitting 1200 > 1400 dps.

On elitiestjerk some druids are mentioning they are pushing 1800 dps.
Clearly there is either a gab in the dps gear from sunwell, or im doing something very wrong

edit:
just reached 1800 dps in 2t4/4t6, dropping after a few rotations to 1400 and then ending around 1450/1500 dps

did it over, and couldnt get past 1300.

--
with the same set, and the old mangle > shred  combo followed up by a FB i was only just able to push 1000 dps

Mangle > shred to 5 cps > rip started at a stunning 1000dps and slowly rised to 1200 dps as my shreds started to get the bleed dmg increase from rip.

--

no matter what i try, it seems like keeping mangle + a bleed up, is the way to go. Getting FB in between rip and rakes gives great dps output.
right now with 4 parts of T6 + 15% from talents, my FB does 30% more dmg, and have almost 100% crit chance on bleeding targets.
Still im playing with some thoughts of making a spec that doesnt include it in the rotation, since its the biggest drainer there is.

#5 2008-10-20 18:18:27

Boltan
Retired CL

Well you wont have to worry about that after leveling since you will be inputting the attpwr finisher in there somewhere >.< and propably rip then for the other finisher. Kitties will be a lot like rogues then with keeping up the attpwr finisher (while rogues do slice'n'dice).

People are like slinkies. Cheap and useless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
     - random lock on the EU forums

#6 2008-10-20 18:32:42

Mojorising
Officer
Website

yea, scaling compared to other classes arent viable before at lvl 80, i know smile

With my tank spec i will most likely keep on mangle / shred like before.
My consern and testing was with a raid dps spec, focusing on cat only.

#7 2008-10-20 20:25:16

xzar
Guild Friend

I'm currently playing with a pure mangle dps spec, they are supposed to be more viable since they buffed mangle scaling, and it frees up 7 points that you can place in tank talents.

On the lvl70 target dummy I managed 1350 dps using only Mangle, Rake, Rip and Tiger's Fury (and I don't have any T6).

You can supposedly add dps if you shapeshift into bear and do some Mangles and Mauls while waiting for energy to replenish (when Tiger's Fury is on cd), but I found this very hard to manage.

Last edited by xzar (2008-10-20 23:42:27)

Profile: Semaphore (horde noob)

#8 2008-10-20 21:20:26

Mojorising
Officer
Website

hmm i deffently need to test that out.
It really feels like they did something to shred. It doesnt do as much dmg now, as i felt it did prepatch.
Might just be me tho smile

#9 2008-10-20 21:47:46

Obscure
Founding Member

what dps meters are you using?

#10 2008-10-20 22:17:11

xzar
Guild Friend

I used Recount to keep track of total damage done. Then I dps'ed for 300 seconds and divided the total damage with 300.

I don't trust the built-in dps indicators in the meters.

#11 2008-10-20 23:20:06

Mojorising
Officer
Website

#12 2008-10-21 00:15:04

Mojorising
Officer
Website

Ive been thinking alittle about that mangle spec, and without testing it, i cannot see, how mangle should be able to do more dps than shred, even without the RnT talent.

mangle talented is what? 29 energy
Shred is 42 talented.

thats 13 energy in difference.
You will be able to pick up talents for a hybrid Cat/bear spec yes, but that also meens that you will lose potentional dps. But lets ignore that for now.
Lets also ignore OOC procs, since they under all sercumstances would benefit shred more than mangle.

If you use rake in your cycle, then why not invest in the extra 5 points, to gain 20% extra dps from shred. You might only be able to pull off 2/3 the shreds compared to if you used mangle only, but they will do that much extra dmg, that it probably wouldnt matter.

when i started getting the hang of it, i started to cycle rake and rip. If rip was up, i would use FB as a finisher, if rake was up, i would use rip instead of refreshing rake. Rip is 5 energy less than rake, and they both boost shred.
If you only keep rip up, there is a chance that you will override the previous rip (or not be able to get it off because the current one is better) and that will be a potentional dps loss.

#13 2008-10-21 01:18:56

xzar
Guild Friend

Rake currently has higher damage per energy than both Mangle and Shred, and it bypasses armor on mobs. It should always be up now as far as I've understood it.

Shred is still slightly superior to mangle, but the difference is not as noticable as it was before. Also, it's much easier to screw up the dps cycle of a shred spec compared to mangle spec. Especially when we get Savage Roar and we have to keep up two finishing moves, rake and mangle while making sure that we use Tiger's Fury in there at the right time. Adding shred to the mix makes it even more complicated, although complicated dps cycles are always nice smile

Talented level 80 Mangle:
34 energy = (2*x + 634)*1,2 ~ (0,071x + 22,38) damage per energy

Talented level 80 Shred (with Mangle/Trauma on mob)
42 energy = (2,25*x + 742.5)*1,2*1,3 ~ (0,084x + 27,58) damage per energy

This makes shred about 16-17% better dps depending on your weapon damage x.

But here's the kicker - add the 2 piece tier 6 bonus and Mangle becomes:
29 energy = (2*x + 634)*1,2 ~ (0,083x + 26,23) damage per energy

The damage per energy becomes a close race now. The difference in dps between using Shred and Mangle is now only ~2%. When you consider that Shredding will be a much more complicated dps rotation at level 80 it'll be more prone to error compared to simply spamming Mangle. I'd say it's a pretty close race with our current gear.

Also, remember that we need to generate loads of combo points once we get Savage Roar and more frequent abilities will help with that (you will always generate more combopoints by spamming mangle compared to shred).

The problem, of course, is that if there are not set bonuses at level 80 that reduces energy cost on Mangle then Shred will be clearly better. I guess we'll have to wait and see smile

Last edited by xzar (2008-10-21 01:25:47)

#14 2008-10-21 01:33:22

Mojorising
Officer
Website

i wont even start to think of lvl 80 rotations yet tongue there is just to much to take into account.
i am using 2 t6 (mentioned it in the above post where i state my talented mangles on 3/3 imp mangle cost 29 energy.) and i agree its hard to fit in a shred without fucking up the rotation.
I am going to try and get a working rotation up with the glyph of rip, and test out the mangle spam, just to see if it has any difference.

Which rotation would you recommend?

mangle> rake > mangle to 5 cp > rip and repeat?
perhaps a FB in between the rips

also.. my spec consisted of 2/3 imp. mangle and 2/3 king of the jungle.
Its also needed to test if berserk will benefit more with mangle spam than OOC.

As far as i understood from Elitistjerk OOC is around 10% more overall dps in the long run

#15 2008-10-21 01:50:58

xzar
Guild Friend

I think I've gone from having a rotation to having a set of principles instead.

I used to do the "keep Mangle up and Shred until at least 4 combipoints then Rip - rinse and repeat" thing.

Now it's more like:
1. Keep Rake up always
2. Keep at least 4 point Rip up always
3. Mangle the rest of the time and use Tiger's Fury whenever it makes sense.

Not exactly a rotation like the old Shred and Rip.

This is usually how I do it:
Mangle, Rake, Mangle until 4 combo points, Rip, Rake/Mangle until low on energy, Tiger's Fury, then Mangle until time to renew Rake and Rip etc.

Last edited by xzar (2008-10-21 01:51:24)

#16 2008-10-21 02:00:40

Mojorising
Officer
Website

you havent been able to fit in a FB with the mangle spam?

or maybe FB only really shines through with the RnT and feral agression talent combined with 4t6 now

Think this would be the spec to use as a tank/mangle spam spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0ZxGGscbzMeRMhuho0E
(last point based on prefference)

for the more complicated specs including rotation on finishers, and shreds i think something like this:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0ZEM0sfrz0eR0hdiZ0E0z

i guess it breaks down to gear/setbonuses in the end.
It was with the last mentioned spec i got the results i posted in the start smile
(2t4, 4t6, everbloom idol)

#17 2008-10-21 03:01:33

Mojorising
Officer
Website

xzar wrote:

On the lvl70 target dummy I managed 1350 dps using only Mangle, Rake, Rip and Tiger's Fury (and I don't have any T6).

i did the same thing now, with this spec:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=0ZxGGscbzzeRchuhZ0E0z

i constantly went from 1330 > 1360 dps with 4t6 and 2t4 and idol of terror

retried with idol of the white stag and ended on a stationary 1374 dps.

maybe it breaks down to the luck on OOC procs or something, but if thats the scaling between T4 and T6 im alittle worried.
i also got alot of "there is already a more powerful spell active" or something like that when i wanted to reaply rip. this fucked up alot of the timing, since i had to spam it until it went off. Together with OOC procs the rip is lost completely =/

im not convinced that mangle spam is the way to go atleast.

-----

did a new test. Used the above, but since i have the glyph of rip it actually allowed me to get off a FB with ease between the rips.
This made my dps have a minimum of 1430 and close to 1500 most of the time. - and i even screwed up most of the time tongue

http://www.madshansen.dk/2t4.jpg
recount states 1430 dps (took a couple of secs before my debuffs ran out on the dummy)

#18 2008-10-21 09:17:15

xzar
Guild Friend

Mojorising wrote:

maybe it breaks down to the luck on OOC procs or something, but if thats the scaling between T4 and T6 im alittle worried.

At least the two set bonuses on T6 should give you a significant edge over me. I'm not sure the stats on T6 are all that much better than what you can get outside BT/MH - for instance, I have T6 gloves, but I don't use them for dps.

What are your stats in catform, so that we can compare?

I have ~4k ap, 40% crit, hitcapped, expertisecapped, 40 armor pen rating, and no haste. I use 2xT4 for the energy bonus.

i also got alot of "there is already a more powerful spell active" or something like that when i wanted to reaply rip. this fucked up alot of the timing, since i had to spam it until it went off. Together with OOC procs the rip is lost completely =/

This is annoying right now, but it is vital that you have more combo points than you can actually use once you get Savage Roar. Remember, we have to keep up two finishing moves by then. What you are seeing is how superior Mangle spam is at building up combo points compared to shred. Also remember that you can never lose rip damage as long as you always keep it on the mob.

im not convinced that mangle spam is the way to go atleast.

We will know more about this once we get Savage Roar. I agree that it would seem weird if shred is only a weak upgrade to mangle when you use 7 talent points to improve it. The impression I get right now points to them being very equal, though.

did a new test. Used the above, but since i have the glyph of rip it actually allowed me to get off a FB with ease between the rips.
This made my dps have a minimum of 1430 and close to 1500 most of the time. - and i even screwed up most of the time tongue

This is a very good test, because once you get Savage Roar you've already practiced juggling two finishing moves.

Last edited by xzar (2008-10-21 18:13:27)

#19 2008-10-21 12:09:13

Mojorising
Officer
Website

i have with my T6 dps gear on:

alittle over 4k ap
42% crit
138 hit rating
44 expertise rating
18 ArP rating

with that i have procs from 2 trinkets (tsunami and shard), 1 ring(MH exhalted), 1 neck(SSO exhalted - aldor)
2 and 4 set T6 bonus

with 2t4/4t6 i have:

alittle under 4k ap
40% crit
114 hit rating
44 expertise rating
18 ArP rating

same procs as above + 2 set T4 bonus

guess the stats are quite similar =/

#20 2008-10-26 12:32:40

xzar
Guild Friend

Mojo, if you are still specced for shredding, would you mind checking what percentage of your total damage comes from shred?

#21 2008-10-26 12:48:10

Mojorising
Officer
Website

I think smoker is smile
All i did was test it out, since im tank specced.

Ill try to respec later if i find the time for it smile

#22 2008-10-26 13:06:50

xzar
Guild Friend

Nah, it's okay - I checked some WWS instead.

I was doing some math on NS+MS (My hybrid mangle spec) versus getting RNT and Shredding Attacks (My hybrid shred spec) at level 80. If I were to spec for Shred at level 80 and still maintain a hybrid spec, it would probably be at the cost of not getting NS+MS and ILOTP.

The numbers I posted earlier in this thread should still be accurate - Shred is 16-17% better than Mangle when properly talented. However, if you add NS+MS to the Mangle spec the difference becomes 11% (at 40% crit). Then factor in that Shred is only ~35% of your total damage (statistics taken from WWS) and the difference only becomes ~4% (rounding up).

This is when looking at Mangle at 34 energy (it doesn't look like there'll be a 2T6-like bonus in the set items at lvl 80).

So my conclusion is that, if you are going for a hybrid spec at level 80, there's almost no noticable difference between a shred spec or a mangle spec, and therefore I would give up shred and use those 7 talent points to get ILOTP and NS+MS.

Last edited by xzar (2008-10-26 13:08:04)

#23 2008-10-27 14:34:08

Mojorising
Officer
Website

Have you calculated the 20% extra dmg on shred from the RnT talent?

Im not sure weither or not you should only have 35% shreds with a shed spec. Im just speculating now, but in a perfect raid situation, you could have
a)Another druid keeping mangle up or
b)Warrior keeping trauma up

if i have one of those above, a rotation would get down to;
rake, shred, SR and rip
thats 3 "over time" abilites and 1 direct dmg talent, and that should get the shred percentage way higher.
then you have OOC, Tigers fury and Berserk too..
OOC will always be better spend on shred than mangle because of the energy cost
Bererk will have mangle cost 17 and shred 21. with the new energy changes you hardly have time to press and release your button before it gets from 17 to 21 tongue
Which abilities will SR affect the most? thats also something to take into account.

I dont know. Maybe you are right xzar, but i feel like i need to do the testing once i reach lvl 80 before i can speak my mind about whats best

Board footer