Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2008-12-03 08:35:47

Curugul
Guild Member

Mage builds and stats

Hi fellow lazer soildiers.

I was wondering.
What will be your build in the time to come, and how will you balance stats (mainly haste/crit etc)
Obviously max spelldmg, but i find myself leaning harder against crit due to Hot Steak, instead of haste.
Allso, mana might become an issue if we are to encounter long fights in the near future. I would hate going into mp5/spirit gear to keep myself up, or feeling forced to use mage armor over Molten Armor  and loose 3% crit.

So...post ur builds and argue over stats.

/discuss.

PS!
I`ll post my thoughts after work today..

You must show no mercy,nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you, for your greatness will silence them all !!

#2 2008-12-03 10:02:50

Boltan
Retired CL

Re: Mage builds and stats

Curugul wrote:

i find myself leaning harder against ... Hot Steak, instead of haste.

I agree! Hot steaks are definately better than haste!

People are like slinkies. Cheap and useless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
     - random lock on the EU forums

#3 2008-12-03 10:06:21

Enimusha
Officer

Though, haste gives you more hits _and_ crits in a certain timeframe. smile

#4 2008-12-03 14:57:22

Wrion
Leading Team

When browsing through the talents I can think of three possibly viable raid specs but I've not done DPS calculations for any of them so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

0/53/18 - Frostfire Bolt spec is a heavily crit based build due to FFB benefitting from both frost and fire talents such as Ice Shards, Burnout, Ignite and Hot Streak. This spec is very solid for single target DPS and keeps a snare up on bosses giving it synergy with Torment the Weak based specs. Possible variation of this build might be 0/50/21 since it has 3% less hitcap if there is another mage to keep scorch/winter's chill up in a raid.
FFB seems to have a very nice DPM too.

19/52/0 - A deep fire build that relies heavily on 12% damage increase from TtW and thus requires someone to keep a snare up on bosses. This build also has some utility due to Focus Magic but its not much and if the DPS isn't similiar or better than FFB spec's this build is pretty much useless.

18/0/53 - A deep frost utility/survivability build that is also very dependant on TtW. It has worse DPS than the two above builds but having Focus Magic as well as Improved Water Elemental compansates for that. Viability of this build depends very much on the value of extra mana regen.
It is also the best AoE spec for a mage.

The stat values for a mage depend very much on the spec and I think it goes roughly something like this:
FFB hit>spellpower>crit>haste
Deep Fire hit>spellpower>crit>haste, not quite sure about this, haste may very well be better than crit.
Deep Frost hit>spellpower>haste>crit

I, as an FFB mage, am going mainly for dmg/crit at least until I've seen how mage mana efficiency is in heroic raids.

Hope you find some of this helpful smile

Last edited by Wrion (2008-12-03 15:01:25)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device.

Board footer