MM:
Lamme's raiding build - pre 3.0.8
Glyphs: Steady Shot, Aspect of the Viper, option: Truseshot Aura
Ihsahn's Marksman build - post 3.0.8
Glyphs: Rapid Fire, Steady Shot, Aspect of the Hawk

SURV:
Lamme's raiding build - pre 3.0.8
Glyphs: Steady Shot, Immolation Trap, Serpent Sting
Lamme's raiding build - post 3.0.8. In case of some serious Malygoss or Sartharion job, it's fair to move points from Sniper Training to (1) Expose Weakness, (2) Hunting Party.
Glyphs: Steady Shot, Aspect of the Hawk, Serpent Sting
Ihsahn's raiding build - pre 3.0.8 - Focused aim can be switched for leathal shots if you got enough hit for it.

PVP:
Lamme's arena build - post 3.0.8 - Notice that Survival Instinct reduces damage taken by 4%
Glyphs: Trueshot Aura, Disengage, option: Frost/Freezing Trap

HYBRID BUILD:
Lamme's MM/SV raiding build project - Getting the MM AP increasing talents and SV crit magic always seemed tempting. With additional 10 talent points it becomes doable to some extent. I'm having hard time assessing this build - judging by all the multipliers (stamina into AP, intellect into AP, +agility, TSA, various plus crits) it could make sense, but I guess only practice will tell. What seems rather obvious is that with no highest tier abilities, it is probably somehow more boring than the "pure" ones. Might be worth keeping in mind, but probably something to test at a later stage when we can say more about "pure" builds.

Last edited by Lamme (2008-09-26 13:55:59)

#2 2008-09-26 18:06:32

Lamme
Guildmaster

Re: Wotlk hunter builds

Points to notice about pets:

Theredon wrote:

Lamme wrote:

We're talking damage here, Ferocity! Same drill as above, if it's BM, it's Exotic Pets, if Ferocity, than a Core Hound. Why is that you ask? Seriously, it A CORE HOUND, why do you even have to ask?! The talents are supposed to balance survivability and damage - the few points taken away from pure damage abilities seem to be worth it.

If your planning on going with a Core Hound. I'd probably screw Dash, Lick Your Wounds talent and sacrifice a point in Spiked Collar, in order to gain Call of the Wild, which not only boosts yourself, but also your party (melees counted!!!).. Altho the sucky part about Call of the Wild is the 5min CD hmm, but It's reduced with the Longevity talent from the BM tree anyways so, no biggie.

I like your BM-tree in general, but you might reconsider taking Hawk Eye, you can never have enough range smile.

Fair points I agree.
I guess I took more of a safe approach - sacrificed some dps abilities in favor of survival.
As for Call of the Wind - I'm not too impressed at this point, it lasts short, has a significant (yet reduceable) cooldown and the effect itself could be better. On the other hand, it's something like "use effect" of decent WotlK trinket I'm guessing, and that's not only for yourself.
As for Hawk Eye - our range is being changed alltogether and I got used to its limits.

What I miss the most in my BM raiding build is Cobra Strikes - pure pet damage ability, but so far I didn't manage to find points for it.

Like I said, work in progress and more of a overview of the talents I'm particularly interested in testing.

One thing I really like is how BM and MM specs may be combined by 2 (or more) hunters for greater damage output. Bit like warlocks curses. Funny part is that now it's the MMs who may support BMs rather than what we have now.

In general I like how Blizzard is trying to make stings matter again.

#3 2008-10-22 13:15:50

Theredon
Guild Member

Points to notice about Volley:

Theredon wrote:

I love what they did to "Volley" feels, that we finally have an AoE with some actual use  WWS proves it all

Lamme wrote:

I actually feel it's lame, against the concept of the class and will get boring after, um, wait, already did. Mana cost is fubar though (pretty much only way to get oom currently), so I hope we wont become stand-still-smash-aoe-button class for real.

edit: (having looked at WWS) at least we ain't all doing exactly same thing anymore, with the results being pretty much on pair.

I think on the contrary that it gives us more options then before. As in, if a raid or a 5/10 man (whatnot) gruop would need AoE'rs. Mages and locks wouldn't be the only choice to take anymore, since we can do it also.

#4 2009-01-08 13:09:18

Lamme
Guildmaster

Made some cleaning. Feel free to add/comments.

#5 2009-01-09 10:57:33

Lamme
Guildmaster

Allow me to comment a bit on these builds, some comments are from personal experience, some taken straight from EJ since I read most of the "BM bible" not longer than 1 day ago, but I wont back it up with quotes - too much searching, you just have to believe me I ain't making it up.

Ihsahn's non exotic build - I like it a lot. Spirit Bond vs. Improved Mend Pet is a close call and the "right" choice fully depends on the healers awareness. Personally I go for IMP - in fights where the pet is in danger I will keep MP up at all times so that's some mana saved. Can't trust them healers. Also, the remove disease/curse part helps. Skipping Invigoration works like a charm in 25man but - for me - meant some AotV in 10 men, so it depends where you're off to. The most interesting point however relates to Longevity - according to EJs, in the current state of affairs putting only 1 point in it is optimal, simply because of the avarage duration of boss fights. Can't say whether this is true or not in TEO's case, I see Theredon uses 1/3 so that sounds fair. Also, according to EJs 3/5 Frenzy is enough in most cases (personally, I have doubts). As for GftT - with crit chance around 35% or more 1 point in it is enough to prevent focus starvation at all times according to theorycrafters.

Ihsahn's exotic build - such a build has few flaws. As a BM, Rapid Fire becomes a minor buff; spare 3 points in MM (be that Rapid Fire and/or Mortal Shots and/or 1 point in GftT (depending on crit chance as above) and max Imp HM, pick up Glyph of HM and with Aspect Mastery you're getting NUMBERS that also buff other hunters (300*1.1*1.2*1.3=515 though I'm not sure if all of these stack, not to mention other goodies). Also, 3 extra point spent in BM tree (54 points in your build) can be spent better in Imp Tracking - I'd take them from Longevity/Spirit Bond, Frenzy being an option.
However, according to the guys who are into real rocket science, as the current state of affairs a BM/Readiness build is best (again, that's basing on the avarage boss fight duration, which might be significantly longer in case of TEO) - since you're close to that with your build anyway, it could be fun to try it before 3.0.8 (since Readiness wont affect BW cooldown after it's released). That's a lot of red pet at least.

Theredon's build - very neat one. You would get minor pet dps increase maxing out Animal Handler - the talent is a bitch to monitor due to how WWS treats missed/dodged/parried attacks. Spirit Bond vs. Imp Mend Pet - as above, I guess you worked out which works better for you by now.
How's your mana in 25 man raids?

Anyway, any of you guys plans to respec into a different talent tree after the "zomg hunter nerf" patch is out?

#6 2009-01-22 11:55:57

Lamme
Guildmaster

I've run some test in Shandara's (Cheeky's) spreadsheet. Compared 2 SURV builds - 2/18/51 and 7/13/51. I've run them both in pre- and past-patch spreadsheet mostly in order to see how much of a buff will the numbers show. Results below.

2/18/51
pre-patch: 5383,2
post-patch: 5518,21

net gain: 135,01

7/13/51
pre-patch: 5358,49
post-patch: 5489,24

net gain: 130,75.

Results are pretty much in line with how I understood what Blizzard was saying. It could be interesting to run a similar comparison for BM to assess the nerf, might do it afterwards. I've spoken to a pretty sweet geared EL hunter yesterday in the evening and he claimed his dummy dps as BM felt from 3,5k levels down to 2,5k. Dummy-dps is very innacurate, still that's quite a huge difference.

That said, I believe the spreadsheet should be treated with extreme caution at this point of time. Especially for SURV, there are so many procs, cd's and situational stuff that I wouldn't make any decisions basing on it.

edit: heh, I've tried to run the similar for old/new BM. I tihnk I must have messed something up really badly since it shows a dps increase of ca. 180 dps big_smile Don't think I have the patience to look into it.

#7 2009-02-17 14:48:39

Lamme
Guildmaster

Updated stuffz.

#8 2009-06-02 15:16:38

Lamme
Guildmaster

Posting here instead of updating since the links might be broken:
Lamme's MM raiding build pre 3.1.3

Lamme's SURV raiding build pre 3.1.3]

A handful of doubts I recently have/had:
Unleashed Fury vs Survival Instincts
First of all, in MM build I couldn't make my mind what to take: 2 points in Unleashed Fury (UF) or 2 points in Survival Instincts (SI). Finally it bothered me enough for me to sit down and crunch the numbers. I took a heroic raid as a sample, data from Razorscale to Freya; only looked at boss fights (so trash excluded, boss wipes and kills included). I ended up with the following:
- taking 2 points away from UF would decrease my pet's dps by 220.546
- putting those 2 points in SI would increase combined damage of SS and AS by 210.929.

Take randomness into consideration and that ends up as being about equal. However, I went 1 step further. SI just happens - you do yout stuff and benefit. But only as long as you can stand and shoot. Add movement and it all becomes more complicated. UF is bit more player dependent - you need to keep your pet (i) alive and doing damage (ii) buffed with raid buffs (iii) buffed with pet-food. Granted you meet those 3 conditions, I'm pretty sure UF is better than SI. In pet-unfriendly fights UF is obvious choice (hence bonus points for forseeing what will be better in a given raid; tip - don't invest in UF if going for Mimiron hard mode:).

Improved Aspect of the Hawk (IAotH)
A pain of a talent for anyone trying to calculate stuff. Facts:
- the more talent points you put, the bigger speed increase you get, but not the bigger proc chance,
- glyph of the Hawk is equal to 2 talent points
- auto shots ain't got haste cap
- seady shot is at 1,5 sec haste cap
- haste varried a lot from hunter to hunter
- IAotH ain't got hidden cooldown
- people who know maths way better than me claim there's nothing bad in haste cd's piling up (in theory Rapid Fire during Herosim grants bigger benefit than those 2 used one after another, don't ask me how that's even possible).

This talent is a pain to manage and basically always seam to happen at the wrong times. However, in theory something like "bad timing for haste effect" doesn't exist. I don't understand that. I don't trust that. I chain my effects! big_smile. Simple maths say IAotH has very high uptime (that's a good thing). Regardless, SURV build granting highest theoretical dps do not include it.
My very personal conclusion - this effect is random and inconvinient, but the benefit outweights all those disadvantages. That's particulary true seeing as I have laughably low haste (roughly a half of what I saw on you guys recently). In MM build I maxed it since I needed to get higher in BM tree anyway. In SURV tree I put 1 point in it and glyphed for it.

MM glyphs
Again it's a pain. Serpent sting seams to be no.1 as the extra 6 sec damage is recalculated into Chimera Shot, so that's much. Past that it's all very gear dependent. Calculations show Kills Shot, Steady Shot, of the Hawk and Chimera to all be reasonable. Personally I go with Serpent, Chimera and Aimed. This give me a smooth rotation with no delayed shots. That's prior to haste effects though, those put everything up side down. If I was to drop any of them, I supopse it would be Aimed as it's relatively low portion of damage (but than again the glyph is there to make it portion higher, argh!)

SURV glyphs
I roll with Explosive Shot, of the Hawk and Serpent. See below.

Glyphs adjustments
Been toying with the idea og using multiple glyphs during a raid. I'm thinking along the line - eg. Kill Shot shines at the later stage of Ulduar (in particular Mimiron p4, Yogg-Saron above all). But than again it's not so good at Vezax. Since major glyphs are cheap as hell nowadays, I thought I would try to adjust glyphs to each fight some time. Prolly not game breaking, but in light of all the doubts above - might be worth a shot.

That's it for now, not because I run out of discussion points, but need to take of work a bit. Hoping for some feedback.

edit: oh, the builds are "pre 3.1.3" since in that patch Hunter's Mark is getting buffed and it might be very interesting for MM hunter, especially in hunter heavy raids.

#9 2009-06-02 23:30:30

Thund
Guild Friend

Nice post you made here, some interesting points to read through. I'm at work at the moment so don;t have time yet to analyze the entire post in depth, wil try to do it later. The haste stacking always seemed like quite a strange idea to me as well, but since I got some experience with maths I know they can sometimes be a little counter-instinctive, and I  basicly always use rapid fire during heroism. One thing to say for it is that you will probably blow your AP boosts (trinket, call of the wild, maybe furious howl but I only time that myself if we get heroism eraly on; else it's on autocast) during heroism, and the extra haste from rapid fire would benefit from the AP as well, while you wouldn't be able to benefit from added AP if you blow RF earlier or later. However this ofcourse is dependent of the timing of heroism as well. With some luck, you can use trinket with rapid fire early on in  the fight, and have the trinket ready way before heroism is blown so you can use it in conjuction with heroism. Interesting thoughts on this matter, want to buy number crunchers tongue

That single point in survival is what I used for a long time as well, and boosted it to 3/5 with the glyph of impAOTH. i recently respecced out of this spec though with no points in impAOTH and replacing that glyph with the kill shot one when it came out. However it has been corssing my mind lately to go back to my old spec, since as you say the glyph of kill shot is really dependent on the fight for effectivity. The switching around glyphs is quite a good idea if you ask me, but granted my lazy nature I only really have the gold to support buying arrows and repairs, and not for extra glyph switching tongue Another good idea would be to just dual spec into survival, with two different sets of glyphs, and maybe two different sets of talents as well, fitting for two types of fights. However the raid buff that MM supplies at the moment does not give anyone the luxury to not have a dual spec in it atm, since I am often requested to boost threat generation and physical dps by doing MM.

A positive thing about patch 3.1.3 is also that Master Marksman now also gives 25% mana cost reduction to Chimera and Aimed shot. It should help balancing out the two specs in terms of mana-dependency, since I have noticed that MM runs out of mana WAY faster then an SV spec does.
The new hunter's mark should also benefit towards MM hunter, and the extra 60 AP gained (30% of 300 = 90 for the old one, 30% of 500 = 150 for the new one) for each hunter in the raid is certainly a reason to get it worked into the spec of some members, especially seeing as we seem quite packed on hunters smile

My two cents for the time being, would love to keep this discussion going but Trekkies actually do want me to play the second half of the new Star Trek move tongue

Board footer