The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2009-05-22 11:38:39

Mox
Officer

Power vs Utility

I made myself a new talent build before the raid yesterday. I did the rebuild to get Healing Focus and Inner Focus again. As you can see I dropped 1 point in Spiritual Guidance and 2 points in Empowered Healing. My focus has been to gain abilities rather than pure power. The two abilities I gained was noticable while I can't say I felt the loss of power.

In addition I moved around on the points I had in Improved Healing. I don't use Greater Heal enough to notice the 200 extra mana cost and Divine Hymn is rarly used without Inner Focus.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#bVcbuZrxtcbMaiu0IuAo

Retired Priest master.

#2 2009-05-22 17:57:42

Insured
Guild Member

Re: Power vs Utility

Most of the people tend to drop the points from Healing Prayers and Test of Faith. I can't really speak for the why's, having been disc for all WOTLK raid content.

Good to see you still didn't drop lightwell though =P

#3 2009-05-23 03:36:24

Mox
Officer

Insured wrote:

Most of the people tend to drop the points from Healing Prayers and Test of Faith. I can't really speak for the why's, having been disc for all WOTLK raid content.

Good to see you still didn't drop lightwell though =P

Healing Prayers is an absolute necessity for me. Just take a look at the WWS numbers that has been posted and see how much we use Prayer of Healing and Prayer of Mending. It's very often our primary spells.

With Test of Faith I'm not so sure. It's a "when you need it the most" spell. It's hard to say exactly how often players are below 50%, but I believe it's more often that we think. Tanks can often be killed with two hits and the raid damage often bring players down below 50%.

Preliminary test results:
I have now compared some numbers from the last two raids and see that the size of my heals dropped somewhat more than I expected. Flash Heal fell from 5 455 to 5 209. Prayer of Mending dropped from 4 352 to 4 095. I think this moslty caused by external factors though, as it looks like all healers had a drop in "healing power".

Retired Priest master.

#4 2009-05-23 08:54:57

denatus
Retired Guildmaster
Website

Did the raid miss a certain buff which increase your healing maybe ?

Anyone who thinks the sky is the limit ... has limited imagination !

#5 2009-05-23 13:49:44

Kaini
Guild Member

Do people in our raids know how to use Lightwell? What comes to healing prayers, it is a must as Mox stated.

For instance, in the council I can keep spamming PoH till the first mob drops, use Shadowfiend the moment it can give maximum advantage and have it ready for the end of the fight. Might be kinda brute way of healing, but seems to work. wink In most of the cases I see that the aactual size of the heal (considering one has chosen the right heal in the first place) is trivial: 5k vs 6k heal to a low health target needs a topper anyways. What is important is getting that first "lifesaver" through. For this reason I have always kept Healing Focus in my build.

In my own build I'm thinking of replacing Improved Healing with Improved Renew, as Renew comes very handy in fights with a lot of expected raid damage. LIke Ignis: I toss out 3 Flash Heals (on the tank usually) to get 3 stacks of Serendipity, a little before jets I renew my other prio group, while in air I cast CoH and PoM, start casting a fast PoH to get my not renewd party up, use the almost guaranteed Surge of Light and cast a CoH and PoH on the renewed team. This pretty much keeps people up. Topping single targets with Flash Heal to get serendipity again and so on. A more powerful renew would be nice in those situations. As would lightwell if people use it.

What comes to Test of Faith: have you done the math if those points used in 5/5 Spiritual Guidance and 5/5 Empowered healing would bring the same amount of healing, but constantly and regardless of your target's health? I mean if you use a Flash Heal to a low health target, you would get that 12% more healing. If you would have the previously mentioned talents, you would get 5% total healing plus 8% to Flash Heal. I don't know how the system works: is that 12% from ToF pure healing on top of the heal, but at least Spiritual Guidance just boosts +healing, so it goes through a coefficient factor. The question is: do you actually effort more on those constant talents rather than a talent that requires some specific situation? And that is an actual question, I don't know the answer and I've been thinking if Í should get ToF myself, as it affects both CoH and PoH.

Alltogether I'm a "left wing" holy myself: got all the talents on the left side of the tree but one. And all those talents are something I am not willing to give up. On the right side we have Inspiration, which is mostly useless as we do not singletarget heal that often. But I do run 5mans too and it comes handy there and we can assist in MT healing making it almost a guaranteed to have Inspiration up on the tank. Tough one.

The cliques of artists and writers consist for the most part of a racket selling amusement to people who at all costs must be prevented from thinking themselves vulgar, and a conspiracy to call it not amusement but art. (Collingwood 1938: 90)

#6 2009-05-24 17:53:00

Mox
Officer

I have now done some testing with two talent builds. With Test of Faith and without. The second build had  Spiritual Guidance and Empowered Healing instead of Test of Faith. The testing was done in Crystalsong Forest where I agroed 3 mobs. This was done to get below 50% and to remove overhealing for both talent builds. All spells was used 30 times. The numbers are the average normal hit, so no crits.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= … _6hCJAHCJA

It's clear that even for Flash Heal and Greater Heal, Test of Faith is better. The deciding factor might be that 50% health requirement, but it's hard to say how often that's the case. I chooce to belive it's quite often.

I'm not sure of the value of this test. I was completely unbuffed. I didn't even have Inner Fire because it was easier without.  I should probably redo the test with Flask and other buffs to see if the difference increase or not, but I have a feeling that more buffs will benefit Test of Faith more than the other build. I should probably have tested a 14/54 build as well, just to see what the base are.

Despite not knowing exactly how often players are below 50% I will go for Test of Faith in my build. It's a fairly good boost to my healing when I need it the most. This does not mean I can't combine some of these talents and I would like to get 5/5 in Spiritual Guidance. Probably at the expence of another point from Empowered Healing. The only other talent I might pick it from is Serendipity, but tips are welcomed.

Retired Priest master.

#7 2009-05-24 19:10:00

Kaini
Guild Member

Do you have the numbers from ToF build when over 50% health? The numbers seem to be in favour of ToF indeed, the question is if we let the people below 50%. Indeed it is a tough call. Then again, how do the 12% healing react with crit? With tier8 set bonus (2 parts) the crits are fairly regular with PoH. Your testing shows that PoH gets the most out of ToF: do critical heals get the 12% benefit or something else?

Great effort there Mox, shows dedication to our cause. Keep up the good work.

The cliques of artists and writers consist for the most part of a racket selling amusement to people who at all costs must be prevented from thinking themselves vulgar, and a conspiracy to call it not amusement but art. (Collingwood 1938: 90)

#8 2009-05-24 22:10:01

Mox
Officer

Test of Faith will have absolutly no effect on targets above 50%. We should never let people drop down below 50% because of this talent, but I don't think we need to either. Players fall below 50% often enough without our "help". The point is not to get maximum healing power over all, but maximum healing when it's needed the most.

I added some numbers for crits in the spreadsheet, but the test pool is a lot smaller. Instead of 30 casts there are 10 on average. I just ignored Greater Heal. The crits overhealed and recount counts only effective healing. If we can extract any information at all it looks like Test of Faith is added after the crit modifier. The size of the heal is calculated and then 12% is added. It also means that Test of Faith will be boosted by Spiritual Guidance and Empowered Healing, but not the other way around. Which I think is fairly logical in the first place.

Retired Priest master.

#9 2009-05-25 00:33:50

Mox
Officer

The build I used during the raid today had 5/5 in Spiritual Guidance and 2/5 in Empowered Healing. I'll probably stick with that for a while for no apparent reason.

Retired Priest master.

#10 2009-09-18 16:37:34

Fairmont
Guild Member
Website

Hm it seems Empowered Healing got nerfed. There are no patch notes about it but spell coefficients seemed to have chanced, probably to a flat 2% extra spellpower coefficient per point spent.

For example Flash Heal without EH has 80.68% coefficient. With 5/5 EH it increases to 90.68% (according to wowwiki for patch 3.2) which is only 10% extra (it used to be 96.82% with 80.68% * 1.2). So it seems like a huge nerf.

This means with 3k Spellpower you gain a wopping +300 healing to FH and +60 for 1 point in EH.
Well the increase will be a little more due to total modifiers Spiritual Healing and/or Blessed Resilience so multiply it with either 1.1 or (1.1*1.03) 1.133 for both modifiers. But still...

I sticked with this talent for some time but it's time to move to Emp Renew. Last raid was my first time as Holy in 3-4 months and I must say I used Renew quite alot. And the loss in throughput of FH is probably barely noticeable.

About the ToF discussion. That talent has the huge advantage that it increases healing on the targets that need it most which is a huge plus. Especially since there is a huge amount of predictable burst dmg most of the times.
So imo it's a must-have and you would gimp yourself if you don't spec it.

Basically I'm going to spec this with 2 points left. Just wonder if I should 2 points in EH or 2 extra in ER. The rest is out of the question.

How's Empowered Renew? Apart from the extra chance to proc SoL and HC.

Last edited by Fairmont (2009-09-21 15:29:53)

#11 2009-09-21 22:02:26

Kaini
Guild Member

Emp Renew: It's a little extra instant for those "On the Move" -fights. I like it.

Then again I like most of the useless stuff..

If Emp Healing is indeed being nerfed, I guess I'll finally get Body and Soul. smile

Last edited by Kaini (2009-09-21 22:06:40)

#12 2009-09-24 11:11:51

Fairmont
Guild Member
Website

Body and Soul...

Hm it can be a useful talent but imo it's a bit trivial. If it saved people, it 90% of the times means that someone failed at moving fast enough. Most of the times the reason you use it for is (easily) doable without it aswell. Think about Vezax kiting, Yogg phase 1 (especially pre-nerf), Mimiron phase 3 bot kiting (pre-nerf), Beasts HM.

Yeah a bit trivial imo.

#13 2009-09-24 17:15:35

Insured
Guild Member

Fairmont wrote:

Body and Soul...

Hm it can be a useful talent but imo it's a bit trivial. If it saved people, it 90% of the times means that someone failed at moving fast enough. Most of the times the reason you use it for is (easily) doable without it aswell. Think about Vezax kiting, Yogg phase 1 (especially pre-nerf), Mimiron phase 3 bot kiting (pre-nerf), Beasts HM.

Yeah a bit trivial imo.

But it's fun. For everyone you shield. Damn fun. Also often useful. For two points. Fun.

#14 2009-09-24 18:04:27

Fairmont
Guild Member
Website

Insured wrote:

Fairmont wrote:

Body and Soul...

Yeah a bit trivial imo.

But it's fun. For everyone you shield. Damn fun. Also often useful. For two points. Fun.

Meh, 4 sec cd is crappy though neutral

Board footer