The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2010-10-15 14:45:58

Lamme
Guildmaster

New talents - first impressions

Inspired by other classes, but it's always good to exchange some thoughts.

I tried all 3 specs on dummy and 2 of them in the raid. First of all, it's worth noting that while none of the specs is "ready" (since we're not on lvl 85 yet), BM and SV are missing a crucial ability, which makes it pretty much impossible to really assess how good they are (i.e. Cobra Shot). Ain't gonna post my builds and such, since they are really simple to work out now. Irregardless of that:

BM - seams like it's going to be quite fun to play. For now, it gives by far the least focus issues. There are rotations worked out on EJ and MMO, but I'd be rather careful about these - clearly, some of the stuff people agree on is a bit sketchy. In particular, it's tricky when to use the spell that increases ranged attack speed at the cost of Frenzy stacks on pet. The spec seams playable at this point of time, but for me it yields somewhat less damage than MM. By the looks of it, once we start getting some real amount of Mastery, pet will be moving in front of the hunter in terms of damage source. So that might give us a "both ranged and melee" role in some situations.

SV - reading the talent description makes me think it might be quite fun to play, a bit different than it was so far. Given the tree is based on elemental damage, I'm curious if "caster buffs" will buff it or not. However, right now SV is more or less unplayable due to energy starvation. Basically, in order to use Exp Shot each time it's ready, there's barely enough energy to shoot anything else (i.e. Black Arrow, not to even mention Serpent Sting). Can't really say how good Mastery is here.

MM - is still quite ok. The "rotation" is fairly easy to work out, the energy cost is predicitble. Also, since MM won't use Cobra Shot, you don't feel like anything major is missing. At around 20% of Mastery, the damage originating from Wild Quiver (so from the Mastery) is already 3rd damage done, so you know what you're investing in.

Other than that, I greatly apriciate the utility given to pets - it's going to be lovely to be able to provide that important missing buff to raids, at very little - or none - personal loss. In general, quite a few cool utility abilities and changes.

Overall - dps is rather on the low side for the time being, but I ain't one bit worried about that at this stage. Overall the changes seam to make sense in most cases and pose some interesting new challenges.

#2 2010-10-15 18:04:41

Maxilla
Leading Team

Re: New talents - first impressions

I mainly tested BM and MM on dummies since I heard from many people that SV had huge focus issues. I am gonna test SV one of these days tho, but for now just my comments on the other two.

On the dummy I had my highest dps with MM. Not a huge difference but like 2-300 dps average on 4-5 mins 'fights'. I suspected it was due to me being more used to MM abilities and therefore also the shot priorities, but after practising BM over and over i sorta got the hang of it, which helped, but not enough to completely catch up with MM.

I tried MM both with Kill Command in the rotation and without it. It wasnt really surprising to me that it was a total waste of focus to bring that in since as MM i dont really have anything boosting its dps.

I went MM in last nights raid because it seemed like the best choice on the dummy, but there was just a 'tiny' problem that i couldn't really test beforehand: The-freaking-moving-around-not-being-able-to-cast-Steady-Shot-issue! As MM its kinda needed to push 2 steady shots in a row for the haste proc, which means you need to stand still for quite some time before you can use Chimera/Arcane and then you need to regen focus after 2 shots again. This is somewhat impossible to time right on several boss fights where you cannot plan very far ahead. Getting Aspect of the Fox later on will clearly help, but for now I'd say BM should be better since its not quite as dependent on Steady shots all the time, and atleast not 2 in a row.
Another thing that was driving me insane was the extremely boring rotation, which is something like 2 SS, 2 AS, 2 SS, CS AS, 2 SS and now an then 1 AS is replaced with Aimed Shot. That was the way i needed to do it if I wanted to have enough focus ready for Chimera as soon as its off cd (i know the haste buff lasts 15 sec). Otherwise i should skip 1 AS and 1 SS every other time to save focus for chimera and that didnt seem like a good idea either. 
Due to the movement issue on a lot of fights I very often ended up with Chimera being ready for a long time before i had the focus for it. This will ofc get better once I've tried it some more, but until you can fire Steady Shots while you move, I'm quite sure I wont be raiding as MM. Atleast not on all bosses.

I didnt really give BM many shots in last nights raid since there are still some things i need to figure out, but my plan is to try that next time. The tricky part here, for me atleast, is to remember to renew Serpent Sting. I've been used to having another ability doing that for me so it takes a little practice to get that back into my head. I also need to tame an exotic pet for a little more damage since I've gotten the impression that its clearly worth it. Going to test that for myself soon aswell. Other than that I think I've gotten the hang of the shot priorities. Now I just need to learn how to execute it right. I doesnt seem like there are nearly the same focus regen issues with this spec, which will work in my advantage og many bosses I think. I actually tested the usage of steady shot on a dummy just out of couriosity. 2 min 30 secs with BM i used 38 steady shot, with MM it was 53 tongue

Im sure things will generally look better when we get the missing spells. This is clearly not designed for lvl 80, but I just hope to find a good way to manage until 85. SV is for sure missing Cobra Shot, same goes for BM. But MM is indeed missing Aspect of the Fox, so the advantage I assumed MM had before last nights raid is IMO not there at all.

Reforging:
Well, I dont really know yet. I've tried testing without reforging anything, tried with some reforging and tried with reforging every item. The odd conclusion was, that its a small gain to reforge crit to mastery, but a somewhat large gain to reforge haste into mastery. I cant really say why that could be. I was sure haste would be a better stat than crit, but dunno now. When i tested it was about same gain for both MM and BM approximately. I havent tested this enough times to feel completely sure, but I'm probably going to this weekend.

I really like a lot of the changes Blizz have made. I think in many ways its going to be more interesting and challenging to play hunter now, but I am ofc not satisfied with the dps output. It seems like they miscalculated quite a lot when they removed ArP, but i guess they'll fix that eventually. Atleast when we hit 85 if not sooner. I must admit tho, that being below tanks on dps is not something my real life enrage timer can handle until december 7th big_smile
Hopefully thats not going to be the case, but otherwise i might need a night off now and then tongue

That was my messy brainstorm!

Maxi

Last edited by Maxilla (2010-10-15 19:57:12)

#3 2010-10-20 00:17:14

Lamme
Guildmaster

Jokes aside, it seriously gets tricky in a heavy movement situation. Right now, the only thing I can imagine myself competing with on 2nd phase of Halion hc is a tank.

Which might have some unpleasent consequences - pvp is the first thing that comes to mind. Interesting aspect which I didn't really think about at first.

#4 2010-10-20 12:05:03

Dejavu
Guild Member

We have pushed a hotfix to improve hunter damage.

Specifically, we increased the damage of the signature abilities (Chimera Shot, Explosive Shot and Kill Command) by 15-25%. This will both improve overall damage-dealing and make sure that these abilities are prioritized higher than other shots. We think this will bring hunters to a good enough state until they hit 85. Aspect of the Fox and Cobra Shot solve some specific issues at higher levels. Marksman hunters may still trump Survival and Beastmaster hunters until they’re 85, since their rotations rely a little on Cobra Shot.

http://sig.allvatar.com/signatur/688772JVzln.pngArmory Link
Apocalypsè

#5 2010-10-20 17:37:38

Maxilla
Leading Team

Sounds good big_smile

Board footer