Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!
  • Index
  •  » Mage
  •  » Inaugural speech, raid spots and all that official stuff

#1 2011-01-18 01:57:48

Wrion
Leading Team

Inaugural speech, raid spots and all that official stuff

So, as of the today I've been given the honour of leading the mage class within TEO. What that means in practice is that I get to, and am forced to, make the calls on who to have in raids and decide whether further recruitment is needed or not.
The two main factors on these decisions are activity and performance.

Over the years in TEO we have often had quite uneven mage player base; some consistently competing for the top damage spots while others severely lacking behind.
I would like that to change. I would like to have all the magi near the top damage as, after all, that is what we exist for.

In theory mage dps is very simple; obvious cast rotations and reactions to specific procs. I'm quite sure we all know this already but here is a good topic on the subject nonetheless.
Where the difference is made is the execution which in practice is, besides keeping to the correct rotation, managing your mana and using your cool downs accordingly, minimizing the downtime.
Every non-cast spell is wasted DPS potential and this is the area everyone could improve in.

A good way to improve your play is to analyze your fights, consider if at any point you could've cast a spell but didn't, and try to improve that in the future. For general view and comparison to other raiders World of Logs is an excellent tool.
Effective use of focus casts helps a lot in cutting the dowtime. As fire I have focus macros for Sheep, Counterspell and Living Bomb.
You can of course, and are encouraged to, contact me in game if you have any questions regarding mage class/wow/life/universe albeit the most satisfying answers I can likely provide are on mage related topics.
And as a side note to mage play; we're currently at a disadvantage compared to most of the DPS classes, and some hybrid ones, and thus playing better than the rest is all the more important if we are to compate with them.

For optimization in gearing Rawr is an excellent tool, and fun to play around with too if you can appriciate the geekier side of things.

Having consumables on raids is of course expected as is having your gear enchanted and gemmed to a reasonable extent, e.g. I don't expect Power Torrents on blues.

As for raid attendance, I will post a dedicated topic on it soon, but three spots per 25 raid for well peforming magi can be expected. As you can see we're kind of understaffed without 100% attendance from each but more on that later.

Demonations and such can happen but I'm sure there's no need for them now, just come prepared to each raid and put effort into optimizing your performance.
That is the main focus for now, to make them remember that you really can't spell 'damage' without 'mage', and it's something I would very much like to be a part of so pester me with any and all pve related questions you might have and correct me on my mistakes and hopefully, just hopefully, we can have a raid with magi on top, even above them retardedly OP hunters.

Wish me luck smile

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device.

#2 2011-01-18 02:36:40

Warsaw
Guild Member

Re: Inaugural speech, raid spots and all that official stuff

Nice start post. GL at new duty.

And one advice to all mages, try to catch Wrion at DMetters wink gl

Dwight: Most people think Marv is crazy. He just had the rotten luck of being born in the wrong century. He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield swinging an axe into somebody's face. Or in a Roman arena, taking his sword to other gladiators like him.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5697/shirtripkh5.gif

#3 2011-02-11 23:19:08

Sinken
Guild Member

Grats Wrion smile

#4 2011-02-12 00:54:30

Lamme
Guildmaster

I am slightly late, but what is the meaning of this:

Wrion wrote:

hopefully, just hopefully, we can have a raid with magi on top, even above them retardedly OP hunters

To quote an ancient Greek savant, "I am, like, wtf?!!!"

#5 2011-02-12 02:00:34

Wrion
Leading Team

Lamme wrote:

I am slightly late, but what is the meaning of this:

Wrion wrote:

hopefully, just hopefully, we can have a raid with magi on top, even above them retardedly OP hunters

To quote an ancient Greek savant, "I am, like, wtf?!!!"

At the time hunters did reign supreme in most of the raid encounters; that may have resulted in use of a slighty exaggerated adjective.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device.

#6 2011-02-12 16:11:05

Enimusha
Officer

Good post Wrion.

I don't know if its public yet, but as of couple of days ago, i joined the raiding part of TEO again, after 6 months break. Being the mage forums, i'm sure you guessed that the character is Enimusha, my first character ever made and which i raided through vanilla (being the class leader at that time). My gear is starting to look okay for raiding purposes and i'm hoping to join 25 man raids in the near future. smile

#7 2011-02-12 17:27:15

Grimbold
Guild Member

Enimusha wrote:

Good post Wrion.

I don't know if its public yet, but as of couple of days ago, i joined the raiding part of TEO again, after 6 months break. Being the mage forums, i'm sure you guessed that the character is Enimusha, my first character ever made and which i raided through vanilla (being the class leader at that time). My gear is starting to look okay for raiding purposes and i'm hoping to join 25 man raids in the near future. smile

So that means we have to deal with you again in raids?

#8 2011-02-14 00:14:25

Enimusha
Officer

Yes. Thats exactly what it means. smile

#9 2011-02-14 00:33:09

Zenghu
Guild Friend

Enimusha wrote:

Yes. Thats exactly what it means. smile

Oh, god... tongue

My everchanging WIP portfolio for school shi...stuff: http://home.tamk.fi/~c1hkorke/portfolio/index.html

It's buggy for reasons I cba to check them, also it's outdated.

#10 2011-03-24 11:02:42

Tyler
Leading Team

This made me laugh a lot! smile
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/march/dailyblink16d.jpg

#11 2011-03-24 17:40:34

Enimusha
Officer

big_smile

• Index