The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!
  • Index
  •  » Mage
  •  » A post from the blizz mage forum that sums up our current situation.

#1 2012-12-07 10:08:15

ensiferrum
Uncertified member

A post from the blizz mage forum that sums up our current situation.

This is the best post ive found so far which sums up why blizz perhaps went a bit to hard with the nerfbat. a bit more moderation would have been better imho (yes, we were OP and needed some balance check)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6083418593

Endrant wrote:

The top guilds now consider mages, not just fire mages, one of the most useless classes in the game right now. And I don't blame them one bit. Why bring a mage to raid now, when you can have a afflication warlock, survival hunter, elemental or enhancement shaman?

I don't care about the damage nerf to combustion, but there is a definite correlation between critting less and fun. Beforehand, yeah, you usually got a heating up proc within 5 casts of fireball. After 5.1 hotfix I was seeing 10-12 fireballs sometimes before a proc even came.

The changes make fire a whole lot less fun, and to quote another thread, it really does feel like a "Slap in the face" handing out such a severe nerf mid tier, when most guilds are still working on clearing content. With tight enrage timers trending towards the norm we are forced to choose the best spec for damage, which happens to be not fire, but arcane, and we are kicked while we are down with the level 90 talents the way they are (Invocation is completely useless for arcane, Rune of Power punishes an already static spec even more by penalising movement-In a movement heavy raiding tier, and don't even get me started on our uber-situational third talent)

And to make matters even worse, the gear requirements for arcane and fire are polar opposites. I cannot switch to fire mid raid because mastery is by far the worst stat for it, while being the best for arcane. This makes matters very frustrating...and expensive.
Why should I continue playing my mage, when the dps I bring isn't  near comparable to other top dps classes, like Shamans, Warlocks, and 5.1 survival hunters on fights with movement. If I bothered to reforge, regem and re-enchant for fire, I would still be doing less damage even with cleaves included.

The vendor gear, which we spent all of our valor points on, is now almost useless as it is mainly crit and hit. With the go-to specs now being arcane and frost, neither of which value crit , we are now forced to gear up again for loot to fit the new FoTm spec. This is a perfect example of a lack of foresight and bad management on blizzard's part, such changes should have been deployed on test realms so they could be tested, otherwise there is no point in having the PTR.

Mages are not ranking high on logs, and fire sims around the same as destruction warlock. I, along with many other mages would have preferred a flat damage nerf to fireball or pyroblast, or tier 2 or 4 piece to a nerf in crit which directly affects the fun factor and thus enjoyability of the spec. The difference on the logs is astounding since last week.

It is pretty evident that these changes are way too severe, and I for one don't like being forced to play a spec I hate, which has situational use and is extremely boring, and penalises movement. Revert the critical mass change.

In order to actually be of use to my raid, I will have to reforge haste to the max so I get benefit from both specs.

/endrant

Last edited by ensiferrum (2012-12-07 10:09:04)

#2 2012-12-07 12:52:57

Lamme
Guildmaster

Re: A post from the blizz mage forum that sums up our current situation.

I forsee an endless wall of mocking and luaghing in mages' faces very soon. A well deserved one. Hell, I'll gladly start myself (make sure to read to the end!).

It's just devastating that in order to top dps meters you are forced to respec. Downright blasphemous! And the spec you got used to and geared for is now not miles ahead of the pack but in the middle of it? Just bad, espeically provided it will in fact end up higher than middle, due to splash damage. Worse thing still is that mages now only occupy 2 spots out of the top 3 simmed dps. The end is near. I laugh particularly hard at the part about top guilds believing mages useless and (careful now!) bringing elemental shamans in instead!

That's a whole new candidate to the "clueless person of the year" reward.

Now on a more serious note, since the above is just a mild case of mocking. Nerf to fire is well deserved and no one (neither Ensi nor the author of the post) questions that. Similarly, nerf to mistweaving monks was well deserved. That the new configurations require different statistics is not really a concern in my opinion. It's the fact that they took away the fun factor that sucks. And with this argument (which is the only one that made sense in the quoted post to me) I fully agree. Right now, when I heal in 25 raids on my monk, I feel like I'm in fact pretending, like a class with non-defined purpose trying to fool others that he's a healer. If fire mages feel alike, I can relate.

#3 2012-12-07 15:21:00

ensiferrum
Uncertified member

Thank you for understanding the spirit of the post and not just going "QQ more!" big_smile
Thats exactly how i feel.

#4 2012-12-07 16:03:56

Wrion
Leading Team

Objectively speaking the spec balance is better this way.
Now we actually have two useful specs instead of just one and rune arcane is fairly compatible with invocation frost when it comes to stat priorities.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device.

#5 2012-12-07 16:40:58

ensiferrum
Uncertified member

Yeah. mage is more competetive with the rest of the raid, that is true.
i dont mind that, infact i welcome it. it is more fun for all involved, even if it slows progress.
Only thing is that fire should be on pair too. then again, it somewhat is. on the dogs it is still nr1 of all specs and classes (save tanks perhaps)

#6 2012-12-07 16:50:38

Wrion
Leading Team

ensiferrum wrote:

Yeah. mage is more competetive with the rest of the raid, that is true.
i dont mind that, infact i welcome it. it is more fun for all involved, even if it slows progress.
Only thing is that fire should be on pair too. then again, it somewhat is. on the dogs it is still nr1 of all specs and classes (save tanks perhaps)

Oh yes, ideally every spec should be viable, arcane being on top due to the ridiculously restricted movement and fire and frost somewhat equal.
Two viable specs for a dps class is not a bad state however, so the change is only bad if you preferred fire over the other two.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device.

#7 2012-12-07 17:10:13

ensiferrum
Uncertified member

yepp yepp. agreed

#8 2012-12-08 05:17:07

Windir
Founding Member

Lamme wrote:

I forsee an endless wall of mocking and luaghing in mages' faces very soon. A well deserved one. Hell, I'll gladly start myself (make sure to read to the end!).

It's just devastating that in order to top dps meters you are forced to respec. Downright blasphemous! And the spec you got used to and geared for is now not miles ahead of the pack but in the middle of it? Just bad, espeically provided it will in fact end up higher than middle, due to splash damage. Worse thing still is that mages now only occupy 2 spots out of the top 3 simmed dps. The end is near. I laugh particularly hard at the part about top guilds believing mages useless and (careful now!) bringing elemental shamans in instead!

That's a whole new candidate to the "clueless person of the year" reward.

Now on a more serious note, since the above is just a mild case of mocking. Nerf to fire is well deserved and no one (neither Ensi nor the author of the post) questions that. Similarly, nerf to mistweaving monks was well deserved. That the new configurations require different statistics is not really a concern in my opinion. It's the fact that they took away the fun factor that sucks. And with this argument (which is the only one that made sense in the quoted post to me) I fully agree. Right now, when I heal in 25 raids on my monk, I feel like I'm in fact pretending, like a class with non-defined purpose trying to fool others that he's a healer. If fire mages feel alike, I can relate.

WIN

+10

Outside lies doom

#9 2012-12-08 05:38:08

Apox
Founding Member
Website

I guess a nerf was in order, but I'd rather see them lower the dmg on fireball or pyro than lower crit. There's just something so insanely boring about those no-crit streaks.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/q03263-2.png

#10 2012-12-10 22:49:53

darkfear
Guild Member

All to balance pvp  i mean i dont like geting hit by frostbombs for 170k  ... ... ..

• Index
  •  » Mage
  •  » A post from the blizz mage forum that sums up our current situation.

Board footer