The Enigma Order

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!
  • Index
  •  » Warrior
  •  » Taunt mechanics (noob question, I guess)

#1 2007-11-17 16:32:53

xzar
Guild Friend

Taunt mechanics (noob question, I guess)

(I guess this applies to both druids and warriors, so I'll pop my question here)

Did they change taunt mechanics when they launched TBC?

If I remember correctly, before TBC taunt would only give you threat temporarily and if you didn't build up 110% of that threat level within the taunt duration, then you would lose the threat again.

From reading wowwiki, I get the impression that this has been changed in TBC, so that it doesn't matter how much threat you build in the taunt duration. Taunt automatically places you on top of the threat list, permanently.

I can't find anything about this in the patch notes since TBC.

Is this true?

Profile: Semaphore (horde noob)

#2 2007-11-17 17:18:53

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Re: Taunt mechanics (noob question, I guess)

Never heard anything like that. Would make it damn easy to regain aggro as a warrior though, and without it, it would be damn hard.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/q03263-2.png

#3 2007-11-17 22:28:17

Mojorising
Officer
Website

from my experince yesterday in ZA, and from the times at lurker, the one who taunts will be put ontop on agro meter and stay there, unless those below him passes him in threat. Its not like "holds threat for x sec, then return to the normal agro list".

#4 2007-11-17 23:50:31

xzar
Guild Friend

Mojorising wrote:

from my experince yesterday in ZA, and from the times at lurker, the one who taunts will be put ontop on agro meter and stay there, unless those below him passes him in threat. Its not like "holds threat for x sec, then return to the normal agro list".

That's also my experience.

But listen to this (old?) description of taunt from Wowwiki:
"Taunt will set the Warrior's threat level to equal the person who has aggro from the mob Taunted as well as forcing the mob to attack the Warrior for 3 seconds. After these 3 seconds, the Warrior must reach 110% of the threat level gained through Taunt to retain aggro."

(source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Warrior_Taunt)

Another description (newer?) on Wowwiki describes Taunt as:
"1.  A short-lived debuff is applied to the mob, which forces it to attack the taunting character.
2. The Threat level of the character who used the taunting ability is immediately raised to be equal to the Threat level of whoever currently has aggro, if the taunting character's Threat is lower.
3. The taunting character gains aggro. (This feature was added to taunting abilities soon after Burning Crusade came out.)"

(source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Aggro)

Point 3 is what got me wondering.

I guess this means that:
1. Tank A has spends 5 minutes building up 200k threat on a mob
2. Tank B (who has 0 threat) taunts the mob
3. Tank B immediately receives 200k threat on the mob, and now both tank A and B are at the top of the threat list, permenently?

Just from a single taunt?

Last edited by xzar (2007-11-17 23:57:54)

#5 2007-11-18 01:32:27

Draken
Guild Member

xzar wrote:

Mojorising wrote:

That's also my experience.

But listen to this (old?) description of taunt from Wowwiki:
"Taunt will set the Warrior's threat level to equal the person who has aggro from the mob Taunted as well as forcing the mob to attack the Warrior for 3 seconds. After these 3 seconds, the Warrior must reach 110% of the threat level gained through Taunt to retain aggro."

(source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Warrior_Taunt)

Another description (newer?) on Wowwiki describes Taunt as:
"1.  A short-lived debuff is applied to the mob, which forces it to attack the taunting character.
2. The Threat level of the character who used the taunting ability is immediately raised to be equal to the Threat level of whoever currently has aggro, if the taunting character's Threat is lower.
3. The taunting character gains aggro. (This feature was added to taunting abilities soon after Burning Crusade came out.)"

(source: http://www.wowwiki.com/Aggro)

Point 3 is what got me wondering.

I guess this means that:
3. Tank B immediately receives 200k threat on the mob, and now both tank A and B are at the top of the threat list, permenently?

Just from a single taunt?

Both tanks are on top of the threat list until someone passes them, at which point the tank that has aggro will lose said aggro.

"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"

"You got an organ going there, no wonder the sound has so much body!"

#6 2007-11-18 05:28:14

xzar
Guild Friend

And in the old mechanics:

3. Tank B immediately receives 200k threat on the mob for 3 seconds.
4. Tank B loses aggro (and the 200k threat) after Taunt duration is over, because he could not build 20k threat in 3 seconds, which was required for him to keep the Taunt-threat.

Is that how it would have been before TBC?

Last edited by xzar (2007-11-18 05:28:44)

#7 2007-11-18 13:47:34

Draken
Guild Member

xzar wrote:

And in the old mechanics:

3. Tank B immediately receives 200k threat on the mob for 3 seconds.
4. Tank B loses aggro (and the 200k threat) after Taunt duration is over, because he could not build 20k threat in 3 seconds, which was required for him to keep the Taunt-threat.

Is that how it would have been before TBC?

You don't lose the 200k aggro, but the mob turns to face the target it had previously due to taunt only forcing a target change by the mob, not forcing it to make the taunter the primary aggro target, that won't happen until you get 10 or 30% more threat than the one who had aggro, depending on whether it's a melee(10%) or a caster(30%).

"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"

"You got an organ going there, no wonder the sound has so much body!"

#8 2007-11-18 15:30:35

xzar
Guild Friend

Alright, thanks for clearing that up smile

• Index
  •  » Warrior
  •  » Taunt mechanics (noob question, I guess)

Board footer