You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to The Enigma Order forums!

#1 2007-01-05 16:40:25

Beardstorm
Mahogany - Retired CL
Website

UA vs shadowfury vs SM ruin

only played SM-ruin at level 60 and I loved it smile Haven't had the chance to try the new stuff yet.
DoT kiting + huge nukes if required and shadowburn crits are always nice.

what do you like and why? (not "what is the most uber theorycraft spec" but just from what you've tried)

Please donate to the "One shot Aya with a shield slam fund", all bits of metalz welcome.

#2 2007-01-05 18:28:07

Struiner
Guild Member

Re: UA vs shadowfury vs SM ruin

I started on the PTR with a felguard, just because it was the new and hot thing to do hehe. And for a while it was good, imba shadowbolt dmg and the pet itself was quite good in the arena's (the only thing I did there really).
After a while I tried a destro spec with Shadowfury, but I didn't find my damage to really be that much better then being Demo specced. I didn't really try it out alot though, and I am tempted to try it out again on the live server atm.
After the short brush with Destro my friend specced me Affliction, the last spec I'd even thought of trying as it didn't seem that good to me. But after pvping with it for a bit I really noticed how strong it is. I'm sure I don't have to explain how irritating 3-4 dot's are ticking away at you're life, surely killing you smile

From what i've read on various forums, most lvl 70 beta players reccomend Affliction both for lvling and end-game. Just because it's super mana efficient and you get Dark Pact. In the end-game the damage difference between affliction and the other 2 trees is just too much to give up on it seems. The only drawback I can think of, and the one I noticed last night in Naxx, is that trash mobs don't last long enough for youre dot's to have a real impact. With a raid pounding on a few deathknights they go down in seconds. Though on most bosses where fights last much longer it's pretty imba. Me and Sunday felt we had to tune down our shadowbolting because with DoT's alone we were too high on the aggro list.

So i'm liking affliction alot atm, I hope it won't get nerfed so badly as the imba dmg will help alot in PvE.. The whines about being overpowered in PVP, ah well.. you learn to live with it wink

Droma - Healadin (70)
Nunb - Warlock (70)
Struiner - Druid (60)

#3 2007-01-05 20:30:20

xzar
Guild Friend

Without knowing, of course, I'm guessing that a Shadowfury build only really shines after you've reached lvl62 and have Incinerate. So far, I've tried Felguard spec on betaserver and heavy affliction on live.

Felguard is fun and powerful, but very similar to MD/Ruin in playstyle (a build that I am growing a little tired of after having it for 12 months). It's fun having a new pet though, and he certainly tanks better than the voidwalker. I do find that I'm using less seduce/nuking tactics and more dotting combined with nuking, which is a refreshing change.

Heavy affliction is finally viable in raiding, but I don't find it really refreshing compared to how it has always been. The only big difference now is the instant howl of terror, a better dark pact, and stronger (but more or less the same) dots. I'm just missing that completely refreshing "wow"-skill like when you get a Felguard in heavy demo.

Haven't tried Shadowfury yet (because of the lack of Incinerate), but I'm more or less just waiting for lvl62 and then planning on working towards 40 destro / 21 demo. I guess I like nuking over dotting.

Last edited by xzar (2007-01-05 20:30:51)

Profile: Semaphore (horde noob)

#4 2007-01-05 20:33:46

Draken
Guild Member

xzar wrote:

Without knowing, of course, I'm guessing that a Shadowfury build only really shines after you've reached lvl62 and have Incinerate. So far, I've tried Felguard spec on betaserver and heavy affliction on live.

Felguard is fun and powerful, but very similar to MD/Ruin in playstyle (a build that I am growing a little tired of after having it for 12 months). It's fun having a new pet though, and he certainly tanks better than the voidwalker. I do find that I'm using less seduce/nuking tactics and more dotting combined with nuking, which is a refreshing change.

Heavy affliction is finally viable in raiding, but I don't find it really refreshing compared to how it has always been. The only big difference now is the instant howl of terror, a better dark pact, and stronger (but more or less the same) dots. I'm just missing that completely refreshing "wow"-skill like when you get a Felguard in heavy demo.

Haven't tried Shadowfury yet (because of the lack of Incinerate), but I'm more or less just waiting for lvl62 and then planning on working towards 40 destro / 21 demo. I guess I like nuking over dotting.

The felguard got buffed a bit last patch too... it's armor got increased to 7500 at lvl 70.

"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"

"You got an organ going there, no wonder the sound has so much body!"

#5 2007-01-05 20:36:38

xzar
Guild Friend

Yes, at some point they changed it. It started out with very little (and there was much whining smile) but mine had about 5-6k last time I checked I think?

The new pet scaling allows for some really really interesting itemization too, I love this addition to pet classes. Especially the (relatively) complex scaling it has with the "Demonic Knowledge" talent. Pure candy for theorycraft-suckers like me smile

EDIT:
Oh and btw, silly me, you get Incinerate at lvl64 not lvl62 ofc - so much for being a theorycraft-sucker smile

Last edited by xzar (2007-01-05 20:41:53)

Profile: Semaphore (horde noob)

#6 2007-01-25 18:38:14

Struiner
Guild Member

Seeing as we've played BC for a little while now and some players are allready getting to 70 pretty fast, what's you're idea on lvl 70? Specifically the build you want to take and what you're preferred pass-time will be. Going all destro for the gladiator sets, or using a combo build for raiding and such?

I'm heavy affliction atm, going for this build towards 70 atm. I really enjoy dark pact and the imba healing of drain life while grinding off quests (Fel armor is sweet). Though I'm not sure how effective/fun it will be at 70, especially in 10-25 man raids.
I noticed Solok being destro, do you have alot of downtime? Or does the fact that you can kill mobs very quickly counter the extra drinking/eating? After I get Incinerate I'm tempted to try out destro, but I'm afraid I'll miss Dark Pact too much hehe.

So just interested in all of you're experiences in BC so far, like soloing those 'group quests' and such like few other classes can smile

Last edited by Struiner (2007-01-25 18:41:46)

Droma - Healadin (70)
Nunb - Warlock (70)
Struiner - Druid (60)

#7 2007-01-29 03:13:36

Solok
Guild Member

soz for my late reply i have test week next week and haven't been on alot hmm /cry
Anyhow, Destro works nicely for me, i guess it has more downtime then you have with Affliction but it's not that bad imo. Also it's nice when you get attacked/attack wink an horde as it has insane burst dps, a few days ago i got charge by a 63 warrior (me being 64) and i got him down from 100%->0% with 5.8k hp left tongue.
linkie to my build http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IV0bZcLZVxbtr0tcuVo
As you can see i mostly use my imp, wich shoots firebolts for ~220 every second and gives me 80more stam wich is kinda nice tongue

"Like a gnome at a urinal I had to keep on my toes"

#8 2008-02-01 06:51:57

Buzzy
Guild Member

Upping an old post instead of making a new.

Was wondering what spec you guys use atm? looked around a bit (and asked in /g)
I'm temped to use http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla … 0000000000 at lvl 70, and also wondering whether or not to take 2 points from empowered corruption and put them into CoE and Imp Life tap. Shadowburn is just for fun though.

Am I completely wrong or what's your oppinion? smile

Edit: Oh also, Incinerate or SB?

Last edited by Buzzy (2008-02-01 06:54:51)

http://armory.mmo-champion.com..nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1652201cbHYK.png

#9 2008-02-01 14:40:07

Beardstorm
Mahogany - Retired CL
Website

I'm using http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IqMrVRfzqtboZxx0tM

with 3 filler points (2 spare + one in supression that can be moved about). But then I'm at 172 hit or something

I only really use CoA on trash, CoD is better damaber overall i think at all gear levels and CoS for 2 or more shadow users (i think, at least thats my rule for it, but havent done any number crunching).

I would put 2/2 into imp lifetap because it is an amazing talent - less lifetap time = more DPS time

I don't think 5/5 Shadow Embrace is worth it - its 5 talents points for a 5% physical damage reduction when you have thunderclap which is 20% slower swing speed and demoshout which is at least a 10% damage reduction iirc. Taking 1 point is worth it for drain tanking to boost Drain Life gains. I'd drop 4 of those points into howl of terror / CoEx / Imp Lifetap. This way you can keep empowered corruption which I think is a good talent.

No fel concentration is ok, but it will probably hurt any solo grinding you end up doing.

Eventually you will end up dropping points from supression since you want our shadowbolts to be hit-capped anyway (202 rating iirc) since it still contributes a large amount of damage http://wowwebstats.com/dzpiun4hkvkpc?s= … 72&a=0

Oh and IMO shadowbolt is always better then incinerate because of ISB/nightfall/SM with is simply amazing. Perhaps if you're in kara with 2 fire mages then switching from CoS/CoD to CoE and using Incinerate may be worth it.

Shadowburn is surprisingly useful.

Please donate to the "One shot Aya with a shield slam fund", all bits of metalz welcome.

#10 2008-02-01 16:14:13

Buzzy
Guild Member

Thx a lot Beardie ^^ gave me a better clue hehe. What about http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=IqMrVRfzqtbooZxx0tR Same as yours but with 1 in imp HS and Intensity or should they both be put in intensity? (aka is it needed at all)?

Oh and slap me if you want. Haven't bothered with it before as I've only healed. What's the max number of debuffs on a boss? - 16?

Last edited by Buzzy (2008-02-01 16:15:54)

http://armory.mmo-champion.com..nyud.net:8080/sig.php/1652201cbHYK.png

Board footer