• Index
  •  » Druid
  •  » Changes to HotW and FAP in 2.3

#1 2007-10-08 22:21:31

xzar
Guild Friend

Changes to HotW and FAP in 2.3

Blue on the forums wrote:

"This is indeed true... Heart of the Wild in cat form will be changed from 20% STR to 10% AP.

In addition there will be changes to Items that granted bonus attack power in Cat, Bear, Dire Bear, and Moonkin forms. These items have been re-evaluated and in almost all cases, the attack power on the item has been increased. This change corrects an issue where feral weapon damage was not keeping up with other classes in its rate of increase."

The changing of HotW should be a buff to all of us, unless someone has neglected agility and only gone for strength.

If they correct the FAP on our weapons to match the DPS of weapons for other classes then some of the better weapons will receive a buff of 200-300 FAP.

Interesting smile

Link to original post (and the subsequent mandatory whining):
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm … &sid=1

Last edited by xzar (2007-10-08 22:23:15)

Profile: Semaphore (horde noob)

#2 2007-10-08 22:29:42

Windir
Founding Member

Re: Changes to HotW and FAP in 2.3

yes, buff druids imo

Outside lies doom

#3 2007-10-08 23:05:11

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Yes, druids truly need all the buffs they can get, after all, feral itemization sucks right? That's why druids can solo HC, and crit for 5k.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/q03263-2.png

#4 2007-10-08 23:55:33

xzar
Guild Friend

Apox wrote:

That's why druids can solo HC.

o rly?

#5 2007-10-09 00:24:30

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Yeah, as I said, druids truly need their buffs. (lol @ rattlegore who seems harder than the TBC bosses)

#6 2007-10-09 00:31:36

xzar
Guild Friend

Apox wrote:

Yeah, as I said, druids truly need their buffs. (lol @ rattlegore who seems harder than the TBC bosses)

That's because I wasn't wearing any gear when I did him smile

#7 2007-10-09 00:51:15

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Oh, didn't notice. Leather fur and naked fur looks the same to me smile (and yes I fast forwarded a bit to the bossbattles)

#8 2007-10-09 02:11:46

Sarcon
Forum User

A buff? So now you 1-shot warriors right ^^?

Ps. lol at video ^^ that's just.. Nice big_smile

Last edited by Sarcon (2007-10-09 02:18:29)

http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/sig.php/1515980WBKor.png

#9 2007-10-09 03:04:29

Mojorising
Officer
Website

feral druids does indeed need a buff.
Maybe we can solo stuff other people cant, but thats because we combine our stealth, tank and healing abilities. That doesnt make us strong or better in endgame raiding and PvP, wich is a totally different thing.

If you get killed by a druid, its because the druid is more skilled than you, or out gears you. - noone seems to remember this

Take arena as an example. Druids might be a pain as an opponent in arena, -if they know how to play. A feral druid will spend like 20% of the fight in catform doing dps, because catform is lacking. To succeed as a feral druid you need a crap load of mana and +healing, shifting between forms, healing, cyclone, travel form to escape throughout the whole fight.

Druids lack better scaling with our finishing moves in catform. We need stun abilities along side alot of other changes, to make us viable in arenas etc.
And this is not only feral druids. Balance druids have a hard time as well.

I dont even want to call this a buff. Rather a change to something that proved to lack from the start. The FAP is terrible compared to what other melee classes get on the same item lvl.

#10 2007-10-09 03:08:49

Mojorising
Officer
Website

btw Xzar, how much of your gear is arena gear, or has +healing against some of the bosses in those solo vids?
I tried solo The last boss in Ramparts, using my tank gear, and i had to use a pot to outheal the dmg i took from him.
Currently i have the +healing from my BG bracers.. thats it xD

#11 2007-10-09 03:12:32

Mojorising
Officer
Website

Forum troll wrote:

his is the math behind the Heath of the Wild change, before posting things like OMG this is a nerf! Read the text below, plz.

Actually:

1 ap = 1 ap
1 agi = 1 * 1.03 * (1.1 BoK) = 1.133 ap
1 str = 2 * 1.2 * 1.03 * (1.1 BoK) = 2.719 ap

After the 2.3 patch:

1 ap = 1.1 ap
1 agi = 1 *1.1* 1.03 * (1.1 BoK) = 1.246 ap
1 str = 2 * 1.1 * 1.03 * (1.1 BoK) = 2.493 ap

Now your total ap is:

Old: ap + agi * 1.133 + str * 2.719
New: ap * 1.1 + agi * 1.246 + str *2.493

New > Old:

0.443 *ap + 0.5 * agi > str

Remember that ap is your raw ap ( Predatory Istinct, Feral AP, and AP on armor and buffs like BoM, Trueshoot, warrior shout):

The minimum ap you will have is Predatory Istinct (240) + Feral AP (647 Terestrian Stranglestaff) = 887
and it will became at least 1500 given the AP buffs from raids.

So the MINIMUM to be a "nerf" should be:

str > 0.5 * agi + 393

Suppose that you have 500 str (and it's an high value), you should have less than 53 agility to be a nerf... I'll never see it happening.

Sum Up:

1) To all saying new HoTW is a nerf: plz shut up.
2) This will solve part of our itemization problem, rogue gear will be not that bad.

The Formula:

New > Old:

0.443 *ap + 0.5 * agi > str

source: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm … &sid=1

The thing i bolded out, was what i was looking for, before approving this smile i have more than 500 str and more than 400 Agi, so i guess ill be buffed

#12 2007-10-09 03:23:00

xzar
Guild Friend

In the video I used a combination of tanking and dps gear. I think I was wearing Veteran's Bracers, Merciless Gladiator's Maul, and Gladiators pants. I didn't have much +healing gear on, perhaps about +100 or something.

The key for me was to find a balance between tanking and dps gear. Also, be very fast at moving out of the fires he places on the ground. That's the main source of damage (at least when I fight him).

#13 2007-10-09 19:22:12

Apox
Founding Member
Website

Mojorising wrote:

If you get killed by a druid, its because the druid is more skilled than you, or out gears you. - noone seems to remember this

So if a epic warrior is killed by a epic warlock, the warlock is more skilled?

#14 2007-10-09 20:43:34

Shadowkami
Guild Friend

I don`t think feral druids need to be buffed.
Just look at them:
They can do dps all the instance-thrash (while increasing other melee dps while they are doing so), and offtank on bosses when needed. Can a rogue do this? Can a paladin do this? Can a (prot) warrior do this?

Now tell me why feral druids need to be buffed.

Mojorising wrote:

Druids lack better scaling with our finishing moves in catform. We need stun abilities along side alot of other changes, to make us viable in arenas etc.

Stun abilities? Cyclone is one of the most powerfull CC ability in the game, why would anyone take a rogue in pvp, when they can get a druid with stun abilities, who can heal a bit when needed?

Tbh I think druids are fine, they are usefull in PVE, great in PVP, but they will have to spec for it.

__________________________________http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/6762/user/142903/308641.gif__________________________________
Shadowkami - 70 Night Elf Rogue || Holykami - 70 Human Priest || Tankkami - 52 Gnome Warrior
__________He asked us: "Be you angels?" -- And we said, "Nay. We are but men."____________

#15 2007-10-09 20:59:41

Boltan
Retired CL

before any druid is given (more) stun abilities, shamans are the first in line for a CC tongue

take a number and get in line!

and yes ferals are quite competent in arena already smile just ask mojorising (we kept winning today when I didnt noob around, remember? I even remember him winning some 1v2 after I went down in the blink of an eye).

about scaling it is true endgame weapons are making some classes more powerful than others. but in no means druids are alone in the slower bus.

Last edited by Boltan (2007-10-09 21:01:11)

People are like slinkies. Cheap and useless, but they still make you smile when you push them down the stairs.
     - random lock on the EU forums

#16 2007-10-09 21:17:10

Shadowkami
Guild Friend

Boltan wrote:

before any druid is given (more) stun abilities, shamans are the first in line for a CC tongue

and yes ferals are quite competent in arena already smile just ask mojorising (we kept winning today when I didnt noob around, remember? I even remember him winning some 1v2 after I went down in the blink of an eye).

about scaling it is true endgame weapons are making some classes more powerful than others. but in no means druids are alone in the slower bus.

I can say very little about the scaling of weapons, and maybe druids do need a buff on that particular area. I just want druids to be a jack of all trades (master of none or something);

And a question: did you mean 2vs2 arena? What are your specs (I guess resto/feral)? And what teams did you beat?

__________________________________http://s2.excoboard.com/forums/6762/user/142903/308641.gif__________________________________
Shadowkami - 70 Night Elf Rogue || Holykami - 70 Human Priest || Tankkami - 52 Gnome Warrior
__________He asked us: "Be you angels?" -- And we said, "Nay. We are but men."____________

#17 2007-10-09 21:35:18

xzar
Guild Friend

I think one of our problems in arena is that - apart from healing - we don't really have anything to offer that another class can't do better. And before you all shout "omg cyclone!" keep in mind that:
- it has a shorter duration than most other forms of crowd control
- it will only cc an enemy for ~10 seconds in total before we hit immunity
- as a feral druid you are pretty much crowd controlling yourself as well when focusing on keeping an enemy cycloned
- you can trinket out of it

Undispellable, yes, but how often do you get 6 second cc's dispelled anyway? How many of you paladins and priests risk a global cooldown on a short cc that cc's but also protects your party member from taking further damage?

This attack power change will address end game raid gear issues, where we do have serious problems compared to other dps specced classes (perhaps excluding paladins). You are not at that stage yet, and neither am I, so it might not be clear to us that it needs fixing.

I doubt this change will make any difference in pvp, where you still need to spec resto, or depend heavily on an imba partner (which I think the few high rated feral druids are blessed with).

Last edited by xzar (2007-10-10 01:45:45)

#18 2007-10-10 02:44:08

Mojorising
Officer
Website

Apox wrote:

So if a epic warrior is killed by a epic warlock, the warlock is more skilled?

This has nothing to do with class balance, this is about druids. We are very strong when we first hit 70. This was because the majority of players didnt have the gear that they have now, that scales way better than ours. Thats why a feral druid mostly needs better gear, or better skills to down an opponent.

Shadowkami wrote:

I don`t think feral druids need to be buffed.
Just look at them:
They can do dps all the instance-thrash (while increasing other melee dps while they are doing so), and offtank on bosses when needed. Can a rogue do this? Can a paladin do this? Can a (prot) warrior do this?

Now tell me why feral druids need to be buffed.

Mojorising wrote:

Stun abilities? Cyclone is one of the most powerfull CC ability in the game, why would anyone take a rogue in pvp, when they can get a druid with stun abilities, who can heal a bit when needed?

Tbh I think druids are fine, they are usefull in PVE, great in PVP, but they will have to spec for it.

Druids need better scaling on our abilities in catform because we simply dont offer enough dps when you come to the very last part of this game; BT and MH.. at that point other classes gears are doing alot of difference in their performance output, where druids dont really gain that much more.

Why are you comparing druid class to other classes.. Mages can sheep.. can rogues do that? can palas or prot. Warriors? - the way our class is build have nothing to do what with im saying. - And if the other classes could do dps on trash and offtank at bosses, why bring a druid?

And about cyclone.. thats not an feral ability. Im talking something that makes catform more survivable.

Boltan wrote:

If you saw what i was doing, you would notice that there are just as much casting spells in my playstyle, as im beeing in forms. Only at rare times i get to stay in catform and dps a target down. And if i face 2 opponents and kill them, they are most of the time low on health, and not working together. I tend to use quite a bit of my tankgear in Arenas to gain survival against those melee classes, but that also meens im a easy target for casters. You will always see on a druid if he plays aggressive (in cat) or defensive (bear)

but to get back on topic, yes, druids are not the only ones scaling terrible, melee shamans too are very poor in Arenas.

xzar wrote:

I think one of our problems in arena is that - apart from healing - we don't really have anything to offer that another class can't do better. And before you all shout "omg cyclone!" keep in mind that:
- it has a shorter duration than most other forms of crowd control
- it will only cc an enemy for ~10 seconds in total before we hit immunity
- as a feral druid you are pretty much crowd controlling yourself as well when focusing on keeping an enemy cycloned
- you can trinket out of it

Undispellable, yes, but how often do you get 6 second cc's dispelled anyway? How many of you paladins and priests risk a global cooldown on a short cc that cc's but also protects your party member from taking further damage?

Yea, i can only agree here. I cant see how cyclone can be more imba, than e.g sheep or blind. both can be broken with trinket, but with both sheep and blind, you can start dps when you feel like it, and not waste precious seconds waiting for the duration to end.
Why do you think you get cycloned that much by druids? thats because thats 80% of what we can give our arena team...

And about having to offer anything to the team. This is why i want more survivability to the catform. that would meen more direct dmg, and not the loss of a dps class on the arena team, as it is now, when every time someone is looking at a druid, we have to run away, or go bearform to counter the massive attack, weakening our dps by alot compared to every other dps class.

• Index
  •  » Druid
  •  » Changes to HotW and FAP in 2.3

Board footer